KDE4 does not start when "startx" command is issued

Hello,

Newbie here, I just completed the installation process of FreeBSD 9.2 on an AMD system. After completing the installation of FreeBSD, I proceeded to install X which as far as I can tell installed without any errors. My next step was to install KDE and XCFE, in order to have a few WM options. Again, everything seemed to have installed with no errors. However, when I run startx, I can see xterm, which tells me that X is working, but no KDE. I should mention that both my keyboard and mouse also work. My last step was to issue the following command % echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc, but for some odd reason it won't work. Additionally, I've also edited the rc.conf file and added
Code:
kdm4_enable="YES
but kdm does not start after a reboot. Any advise and/or suggestions are welcome.

Hello @good-beastie,

Thanks for the suggestion and to answer your question, yes I did mount /proc like this: mount -t procfs proc /proc and then made the edits as per the handbook. When I'm logged in as my regular user and issue the command startx I'm getting the following error
Code:
exec:/usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde: not found
which I guess means the .xinitrc file has not been created.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi freeze,

Try the .xinitrc without exec, /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde only. I used that on FreeBSD 8.4-STABLE with success.

In .xinitrc
Code:
#load kde4
/usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde

@good-beastie,

I've added the line of code you posted to my /home/freeze/.xinitrc and still no luck. Now when I run startx,I get the following error:

Code:
/home/freeze/.xinitrc: /urs/local/kde4/bin/startkde: not found

@freeze,

I see a typo in the error message, the path to startkde should be /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde so try ls -l /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde or find /usr/local -name startkde to locate it. :)

You are correct, however, the typo happened while replying to you. I checked the syntax and it's correct. I ran echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc and ran startxagain, and I'm now getting a new error, see below:

Code:
xauth: (argv):1 bad display name "helot:0" in "remove" command

helot is my host name. I'm replying from a laptop and thus can copy and paste my xorg.conf file, which could be the culprit here. Since I'm new to FreeBSD, I'm not sure if it's at all similar to Gentoo in that you can reboot your box with a LiveCD and chroot into your system and provide more detail information that way.

Back