It's all about jokes, funny pics...

dapim.jpg

Crivens said:
And here we have a reason not to use bing!
There is so much WTF converging on that idea, it makes me cringe.

I would be more worried not that bing utilizes such a technology, but that such a technology exists. That is what that particular personal information data mining tool was designed for.

peetaur said:
I would be more worried not that bing utilizes such a technology, but that such a technology exists. That is what that particular personal information data mining tool was designed for.
Too true. Wanna bet who will have also access to the information? Or for what reason?

Crivens said:
Too true. Wanna bet who will have also access to the information? Or for what reason?

Solution: don't use Facebook.
Except that it won't help when they take the same technology to the other social networks, the ones you have chosen to use instead of Facebook.

tingo said:
Solution: don't use Facebook.
Except that it won't help when they take the same technology to the other social networks, the ones you have chosen to use instead of Facebook.

When I was young, Pluto was still a planet ;) And yes, I am a luddi when it comes to social networks which are not on paper :stud

This a computer version of "Who's on first" -routine by Abbott and Costello:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

UNIX Consultant

Customer calls a UNIX consultant with a question.

Customer: What is the command that will tell me the revision code of a program?
UNIX consultant: Yes, that's correct.
Customer: No, what is it?
UNIX consultant: Yes.
Customer: So, which is the one?
UNIX consultant: No. 'which' is used to find the program.
Customer: Stop this. Who are you?
UNIX consultant: Use 'who am i' not 'who r yoo'. You can also 'finger yoo' to get information about yoo.
Customer: All I want to know is what finds the revision code.
UNIX consultant: Use 'what'.
Customer: That's what I am trying to find out. Isn't that true?
UNIX consultant: No. 'true' gives you 0.
Customer: Which one?
UNIX consultant: 'true' gives you 0. 'which programname'.
Customer: Let's get back to my problem. What program? How do I find it?
UNIX consultant: Type 'find / -name it -print' to find 'it'. Type 'what program' to get the revision code.
Customer: I want to find the revision code.
UNIX consultant: You can't 'find revisioncode', you must use 'what program'.
Customer: Which command will do what I need?
UNIX consultant: No. 'which command' will find 'command'.
Customer: I think I understand. Let me write that.
UNIX consultant: You can 'write that' only if 'that' is a user on your system.
Customer: Write what?
UNIX consultant: No. 'write that'. 'what program'.
Customer: Cut that out!
UNIX consultant: Yes, those are valid files for 'cut'. Don't forget the options.
Customer: Do you always do this?
UNIX consultant: 'du' will give you disk usage.
Customer: HELP!
UNIX consultant: 'help' is only used for Source Code Control System.
Customer: You make me angry.
UNIX consultant: No, I don't 'make me' angry, but I did 'make programname' when I was upset once.
Customer: I don't want to make trouble, so no more.
UNIX consultant: No 'more'? 'which' will help you find 'more'. Every system has 'more'.
Customer: Nice help! I'm confused more now!
UNIX consultant: Understand that since 'help' is such a small program, it is better not to 'nice help'. And 'more now' is not allowed but 'at now' is. Unless, of course, 'now' is a file name.
Customer: This is almost as confusing as my PC.
UNIX consultant: I didn't know you needed help with 'pc'. Let me get you to the Pascal compiler team...

source: http://www.jokebuddha.com/Unix#ixzz1u8isq543

Years ago Bob Hope walks up to Bing Crosby who is standing outside watching his mansion burning to the ground.

Bob Hope: "What's new?"

peetaur said:
Here's a classic more extreme version of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFkb0d1kbU

Red Dwarf is a classic comedy, it was a pistake of the Deckard thing and most CSI shows that always get the vital clue from the reflection of the killers face in the dog turd on Saturn taken with the Hubble telescope that happened to be passing overhead.

mharvey87 said:
If you have time watch these links right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoM5kfZIQ0&feature=related ( 5,000,000,000 X 140,000,000 resolution isn't very good I guess :e)

Yeah, NCIS is just about acceptable, Pauley Perrette and Cote de Pablo make it more than watchable though and some of the episodes are funny, but CSI and CSI NY are unwatchable.

saxon3049 said:
most CSI shows that always get the vital clue from the reflection of the killers face in the dog turd on Saturn taken with the Hubble telescope that happened to be passing overhead.
b^.^d
So true!

saxon3049 said:
CSI and CSI NY are unwatchable.
And Miami is even worse with all those cool shades and sexy high heels and mini skirts when it looks like this in reality.
Those series and most movies are produced by computer illiterate morons. Even "classics" such as War Games or more recent ones such as Hackers are filled with ridiculously overblown feats based on a complete misunderstanding of computers and technology in general.

An old article on Cracked: http://www.cracked.com/article_15229_5-things-hollywood-thinks-computers-can-do.html

Beastie said:
Those series and most movies are produced by computer illiterate morons. Even "classics" such as War Games or more recent ones such as Hackers are filled with ridiculously overblown feats based on a complete misunderstanding of computers and technology in general.

I don't know if you guys "across the pond" were witness to the "wonderfulness" of the series 24, I used to watch it just to laugh at all the crazy computer stuff. But this thread reminds me of my favorite, when Jack Bauer found the terrorist hard drive hidden in a wall, he plugged it into his computer and it was encrypted...not to worry, the tech back at CTU asked him for the hard drive model number and once he had that the tech told ok just hit ctrl-q (or some key combo) and that broke the encryption. I tried to find that on youtube but no luck.

Back