1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

install 32bit NVIDIA driver on 64bit PC-BSD

Discussion in 'System Hardware' started by grigorovl, Sep 24, 2011.

1. grigorovl

grigorovl New Member

I am writing here as these forums are more active. I am using PC-BSD 9.0-BETA2 64bit. It came with the 280v of the 64bit NVIDIA driver. Can someone tell me how I can install the 32bit NVIDIA driver alongside with the 64bit one?

Steam currently works, downloads games, but on launch is stuck on "Launching so and so game..." for about 4 min then nothing happens. In order to get Steam games working, since Wine is 32bit, I need a 32bit NVIDIA driver alongside. This has been documented in many places, including the FreeBSD wiki for wine

Can someone clarify how to do that? The current driver I have is v280 64bit.

Cheers.

2. demo

demo New Member

Did you setup a chroot for 32-bit binaries?
    http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine#Wine_on_FreeBSD.2BAC8-amd64

If you did, chroot back into the 32-bit system as in the instructions on that page, then instead of
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine && make install clean
    You would use this to install the 32bit nvidia driver
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver && make install clean

3. rusty

rusty New Member

4. grigorovl

grigorovl New Member

I did that, I am running his 64bit wine pkg, I have a native 64bit NVIDIA v280 and his script installed the 32bit NVIDIA v280. I installed Steam through winetricks and configured everything as per the page, but I still cannot get Team Fortress 2 to launch. Strangely enough, Portal launches and works. I cannot isolate if it's a 64bit problem or it's elsewhere.