1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP P1566 in FreeBSD 8.1

Discussion in 'Peripheral Hardware' started by tooker, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tooker

tooker New Member

Does anyone have this printer working under FreeBSD 8.1? I've installed cups, hplip & foo2zjs but no luck. Hp-check & /usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/hp found nothing.

Does this printer require firmware to work like HP 1005 for example?

usbconfig dump_device_desc returns:
    Code:
    ugen1.2: <HP LaserJet Professional P1566 Hewlett-Packard> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

bLength = 0x0012
      bDescriptorType = 0x0001
      bcdUSB = 0x0200
      bDeviceClass = 0x0000
      bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
      bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
      bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
      idVendor = 0x03f0
      idProduct = 0x092a
      bcdDevice = 0x0100
      iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Hewlett-Packard>
      iProduct = 0x0002  <HP LaserJet Professional P1566>
      iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <000000000QB00ZLJSI1c>
      bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

2. tingo

tingo Member

Always check openprinting.org when having problems with a new printer. Yours is listed:
    http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_Pro_P1566
    The foo2zjs driver should be all you need.

Are you using the latest version of hplip? Check /var/log/messages for error messages.
    try to run hp-setup and hp-check as root (it could be a permissions problem).
    You need to set the DISPLAY environment variable if you want to run hp-setup etc. as root.

3. tooker

tooker New Member

Does this mean that I don't require print/hplip to install?

foo2zjs driver is already intalled on my system. Followed instruction for FreeBSD 8.0 from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/INSTALL but after setup of printer in CUPS and sending "Test Page" to it nothing happens.

In the instruction
    is noticed, but I don't have such devices. I used usb:/dev/ugen1.2 for the URI.

Does my printer require firmware loaded to print or not?

4. tingo

tingo Member

Try to install foo2zjs from the port (print/foo2zjs) instead (pay attention to the instructions given when you install the port). Does it work then?
    You will probably want to have hplip (print/hplip) installed - everything works nicer then (for me at least).
    I have a HP Photosmart 8250, so I can't say if your printer requires firmware or not.