How do I install a specific version using ports

That depends on whether the specific version is in the current ports tree or not.

If you don't want the latest version from ports, try portdowngrade. It is in ports:

/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portdowngrade

This program will present a list of older versions of the port you specify, and you can select the version you prefer.

osax said:
How do I install a specific version using ports?

Just edit the Makefile and maybe adjust distinfo. You might consider dealing with the various patches in files as well. In the end you might make a port of your own, or just download and compile the source by your own. (like in the old linux days, download, ./configure, make, make install)

Ye old fasion way...

Compiling from source is a good idea,

I'm trying to setup puppet, but puppet only supports
pkg but without version-ing.

Puppet works great on RPM & Deb system, but is proving more
difficult on freebsd.

Any puppet guru's around here, that would like to shed some light
on the subject?

If you are referring to some "--versioning" type
parameter not supported by a port, *once* (this
is vague, maybe incorrect, but I think it is in
another post...
the general idea:
Code:
make extract
make patch
cd work
touch .configure_done.puppet.usr_local
cd puppet-[number]
sh ./configure --help
#write them all down
sh ./configure --this --that # etc per Makefile etc
cd /usr/ports/[somewhere]/puppet
make build
cd work/src #or...
ldd ./puppet #if applicable
# tests okay?
cd /usr/ports/[somewhere]/puppet
make install

Retyped from another thread I made in
"installing... " section. Typos or
errors or not-applicable maybe...

Not exactly what I had in mind.

Puppet is running fine & have no problem getting it working.

I want to tell puppet to install apache-2.2.1 for example, but the ports tree only holds apache-2.2.14

Pkg won't work, because, well I guess we all know pkg sucks.

Did you try portdowngrade? I think you can then easily downgrade from apache-2.2.14 to any older version you like.

In that case, you should hack Puppet to go and look for the Makefile in question all the past CVS (or SVN) entries to see in which version/date/tag does the particular requested version (e.g. 2.2.1 in the above example) exist in.
E.g. take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/apache22/Makefile
(in your case you will be using e.g. CVS protocol inside of Puppet)
you see that the Makefile that comes close to what you want (there is no 2.2.1 port) is:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/apache22/Makefile?rev=1.192;content-type=text/plain
You then grab the date "Wed May 10 19:47:15 2006 UTC" and you do a CVS update or checkout according to this date.
This logic will make your Puppet travel back in time when apache-2.2.2 was just released.

PS
What do you mean pkg sucks?

Back