1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, Greetings & Self-Introduction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by smarc, Nov 16, 2008.

1. rgoodson

rgoodson New Member

Hello to you all.

I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.something when I used to get the quarterly set of CDs in the mail via my subscription (from walnut creek, maybe?). I still have a big stack of those FreeBSD CD jewel cases in a moving box somewhere. For the last 5 years or so, I've been working as an admin in a strictly Solaris shop, but recently, my ancient FreeBSD 6-stable machine that I have in a rack in the basement began to show signs of imminent hardware failure (to go along with its crufty ports), so along with my hardware refresh, I started to investigate what I had missed since 2006 or so, and it's been a lot, apparently.

-Rich

2. luckylinux

luckylinux New Member

Hi all,
    I'm a student in electronics engeneering and will beginning to learn FreeBSD after more than 8 years in the GNU/Linux world (5 of which using Debian and Gentoo). For now I'll be using FreeBSD for my backup server. I'm impressed on how fast you can be helped in these forums.

3. sossego

sossego New Member

Name: Everyday Nobody

I'm probably one of the more unconventional members of the FreeBSD community.

My focus/goal with/for FreeBSD is to increase the user base by helping people through installation tutorials or hands-on teaching. Yes, I do talk about FreeBSD, powerpc, OpenBSD, and other computer related topics in public.

In public: I like to ask people I don't know random questions.

4. fullauto

fullauto New Member

NEW to free BSD... looking for mentor!

Hi,

Name is Tim and I used to use Unix back in the day, '98-99. Want to get back into it for different reasons, but found that I don't have the same network of people I used to have to bounce question off of, and the google/apply method isn't really teaching me much more than HOW and not so much the WHY, which is what I really need.

Not going to Lie: VERY newb at this and the HOW is going to be my first question, but why is very important to me as I don't want to learn how to do something without realizing why it's done that way.

Looking for someone to walk me through some of this stuff and be a FreeBSD Mentor! I have a teamspeak server available at all times: fullauto.no-ip.org with no password. Anyone here is free to use it. Looking for HELP!

My ultimate goal is to run my own successful FreeBSD server complete with FTPd, HTTPd, SSH, etc., basic stuff, but I am relly having a hard time with the google/apply method. So lend me a hand!

I remember the FreeBSD community as being the most generous OS community there is, and am looking foward to making a few new connections. :e

5. Viatcheslav

Viatcheslav New Member

Hello, I'm from Russia.

From all systems which I need to admin (cisco, linux, window) freebsd FreeBSD is the best!

Code:
    [prserver:~] $ sh
    $ set -E

6. yarnoiser

yarnoiser New Member

Hi all. I come from an ubuntu/debian linux background. I was interested in seeing what FreeBSD was like. Got FreeBSD 9 with gnome2 running on my desktop. Much better installer than the old sysinstall by the way! I also like how things in the port collection like chromium and libreoffice are kept more up to date than debian stable versions. Still waiting on gnome 3 though. Also love the improved chroot and jail functions. Security FTW!

7. Dead_Lemon

Dead_Lemon New Member

Hi all

I'm reasonably new to FreeBSD, well unix/linux world in general, been fascinated with FreeBSD and ZFS for a while and finally built myself a 4x2TB file server, been fun so far, but still much to learn, so please be patient with silly questions :p

8. anon12b

anon12b New Member

I guess this is the done thing.

I have been interested in Unix-like systems for a long time. The first time I knowingly used Unix-like systems was around 2001. Before that I had used Unix, but did not actually realise what made it so different from MS-DOS 6 (my main operating system at the time). Since 2001, I have rarely been far from a Unix-like. My usage essentially went: OpenBSD (I bought several CDs, and I still have all my sticker sets unused!) -> Debian -> Linux From Scratch -> NetBSD -> FreeBSD.

My move to FreeBSD was cemented when I was looking for a lightweight virtualisation technology. I had been looking at Openwall GNU/*/Linux (Owl), as it offered a lot of features I liked, and had OpenVZ integrated. However, OpenVZ was a bit too heavyweight for what I wanted; it required a wildly different kernel to vanilla; the directory structure it uses seems convoluted. I had several different requirements: ranging from full system virtualisation, to single process setups. Only FreeBSD's jails met all of this when I was looking.

As I read more about FreeBSD's jails, I become set that this was the only solution that was workable. The only competitor still in the frame, is NetBSD, using KAUTH and RUMP.

If my mind was not made up enough, Linux just seemed to be getting worse. I say "seemed," it is not quantifiable (or perhaps even provable). It just seemed that the code quality was deteriorating; the community becoming more fragmented; the distributions not helping each other. A horrible air of NotImplementedHere pervades the atmosphere. Too much politics for me. Again, I am not stating it is worse, just how it changed in my perception.

So, FreeBSD is my choice going forward. I cannot see it changing any time soon.

9. toroamericano

toroamericano New Member

Hello, I have used Freebsd FreeBSD on and off again for the last ten years. Never really got far with it as I use another variant now as well (shiny things those macs.) Now I am back again, posting on this website for the first time.

I have the original 4.4 disk set I bought in a Fry's electronics so long ago. I started with RH just before they did their IPO thing back in the day and I must say it was ok, especially after I got my "winmodem" in a Compaq presario laptop working...

I used to work with VAX VMS in real life, automated test equipment type stuff, but it has been a few years since I did that joyfull work.

Now I have Freebsd FreeBSD on an older Panasonic CF-48, and I am building a tinker toy out of an Optiplex 745.

Looking forward to meeting new people and hopefully learning a lot!

10. sylvaingirard

sylvaingirard New Member

Hi! I don't know diddly squat about FreeBSD. I've got *some* experience with Linux (Ubuntu/Debian). I got myself a NAS box a couple of weeks ago, which is running FreeNAS, which kinda makes getting to know FreeBSD non-optional. :)

11. miracle20003

miracle20003 New Member

Hi! everyone I'm a rookie

12. JakkFrosted

JakkFrosted New Member

Hello all. I'm just a guy looking to learn more by doing things the hard way. ./configure and yum install blah isn't teaching me much. With FreeBSD I feel like I would have to go out of my way to find an easy way. Furthermore, Linux techies are a dime a dozen, adding another to the bin isn't going to help so much. Or maybe I just want to shave against the grain.

13. hipodilski

hipodilski New Member

Ehlo

Ehlo guys :)

14. TheDreamer

TheDreamer New Member

Hello all,

I first dabbled with FreeBSD back with 2.x, and now I'm back again with 9.0.

The Dreamer.

15. iwanna4get

iwanna4get New Member

Hello :D

I've only started getting interested in using a Unix OS recently so I don't really know much about it. I just started using Slacko just a day ago and installing freebsd FreeBSD on my PC (from windows) and quite frankly I don't know what to do with it. I was advised to use Unix to improve my programming skills and hacking (or so I was told).

Looking forward to your guidance :)

16. Trihexagonal

Trihexagonal New Member

I used to work in an iron foundry scooping sand or swinging a sledgehammer all night long, back when I was Superman.

Now I'm mild mannered Clark Kent and spend the nights on my computers typing out commands or surfing the net.

The first computer I used was an Apple in 1993. I've been using FreeBSD on and off for the past 7 years but it's only been this year that I committed myself to using it as my only OS. I'm comfortable with it but still have a lot to learn.

17. jonfr

jonfr Member

Hello all.

I am on my slow way on moving to FreeBSD from Gentoo Linux. Depending on problem solving issues that always follow such move.

18. Jericho

Jericho New Member

19. Michael

Michael New Member

Hello, FreeBSD!

20. zer0sig

zer0sig New Member

Howdy,
    I've been using Unix-style OSes regularly since about 1995 (started with Solaris 4.1 and I believe a version of Slackware Linux running something in the 1.1 series of kernels), and got into FreeBSD when setting up a small ISP (I found that FreeBSD was the best freely available solution for predictable, stable behavior, and while things have become a bit more complex I still feel that way), I believe we were starting with 2.2.6 for the SMTP, DNS and HTTP servers (also ran a shmancy Windows NT 4 box for IIS that helped solidify my love of Unix). I have done admin and consulting work, primarily on Unix-derived OSes since 1998 and still prefer sysadmin and telecom work, though I spend more time with RHEL and Solaris at the jobs I have worked. I have consistently been a fan/user of Bourne-type shells and CLI for almost all possible purposes, and prefer finding ways to do such even if I am alone doing so. Right now I am using a notebook that had Win7 on it, installing PC-BSD as it made certain aspects of installation easier at the time (ZFS+crypt, a few of the devices that FreeBSD was a bit ornery about at first), though I've pared out most of the PC-BSD stuff as the ports/packages system and consistent BSD-style configuration files still make more sense to me than almost anything else. I was really stoked when the forums were finally established, though I think I lurked for a year or 2 before signing up. It's tough to find a shop that standardizes on FreeBSD, at least in the NC area, but I find that the reasons for that are rarely technical ones. Looking forward to learning and hopefully helping some folks out when I am around.

21. YouriBSD

YouriBSD New Member

Hello,

I'm YouriBSD or "Beastie" on other forums but it was already taken here. I've been using FreeBSD for a year and I'm having a blast.

22. TiberiusDuval

TiberiusDuval New Member

Introduction of new member

I don't know if there is some policy about introduction by new members, but to be sure I decided to introduce myself here.

I'm Finnish guy, interested for years about computers and related stuff. Computer history for myself started from Amiga 500 at beginning of 90's, after that quite a many years as DOS/Windows9x/WindowsXP/WindowsVista user, then I got interested in opensource operating systems, first in Linux side, have used Ubuntu from version 8.04 on, used also PCLinuxOS, Arch Linux. I got interested in FreeBSD at this spring, tried managed to thrash system couple of times, then someone friendly person in Finnish Ubuntu users forums recommended PCBSD for me, I installed it and liked it, now I decided to register to this forum mainly to study more about FreeBSD lying under the hood of PCBSD. I apologise if my English is not always very grammatically accurate, as I'm not native English speaker.

I hope to learn quite much usefull information here, and maybe sometime in future be contributing member too.

23. yom

yom New Member

Hello !

I'm french.
    I've been using and working on Windows :r for a while, even though I started programing on AIX SystemV. Made my way through languages upon time : C, VB, VBscript, C#, JavaScript … to finally come back to C. :e
    I was always testing linux distributions : redhat, fedora, debian, crux, archlinux, but I couldn't really find a core spirit to them which I can find now in FreeBSD �e ; Things that need to be in the base actually ARE in the base. Also for me the BSD community really is a community, and I'm thinking that the FreeBSD Foundation takes a real place in it.

I've discovered FreeBSD in 2008 since a friend of mine is working for a company using it, and things made me to integrate his team. I've really started to use FreeBSD in july 2010 when I replaced my home server from ArchLinux to FreeBSD : networking, firewall, FS through SSH, development. I found that FreeBSD is incredibly stable, it never crashed on any machine I used.
    We're using FreeBSD at work on each server we've got : something like 13 servers from version 6.4 to 9.0. Some are running services in Jails, which makes things really handy.
    I'm also running FreeBSD on a server, with 2 jails. Everything is working like a charm.

It's a bit long for a self-introduction, but each time I'm thinking about it, FreeBSD became a real part of my life, for now, and I hope it is for long. I'm usually thinking I'd like to thank everyone working on FreeBSD, making it a really stable and usable OS, with really great features in a really well designed development roadmap.

Thanks for reading me if you did. It is really great to use FreeBSD. :)

--Guillaume (yom)

24. liquidr1

liquidr1 New Member

I'm new to this forum but it looks great, just thought I would say hello!

25. squadmz

squadmz New Member

Hello!

Hi, I'm a new on the forum and Unix World, I have some basic understanding of Linux, but I feel more attracted to to UNIX as one of the oldest.

I'm a network Admin (CCNA), work with windows also, and I would like to deeg deep on Unix, so I'm here looking for directions, I have installed on Virtualbox a FreeBSD 8.1. but I don't know how to start!

I'm reading this book: (Network Programming Volume 1, Third Edition: The Sockets Networking API) as advice from this forum:
    http://www.unix.com/im-new-unix-boo...nix-certification-most-needed-these-days.html

What you guys think about it?

Looking to hear from you guy "and one day edit my own posts...:)"

Did I post on the wrong place?