FISH protocol failing on upgrade from 8.1 to 9

On 8.1 (KDE 4.4.5) I used Dolphin on my local PCBSD box to do file operations on a remote server using the FISH protocol. After upgrading to PCBSD 9 (KDE 4.7.3), when uploading files to the server (specifically drag and drop from one pane - local, to another - remote), only part of the file makes it (about 80%), reporting an error, "Connection to the host XXX is broken".

Same problem exists in Konqueror. No problem uploading files using SCP from the console however, and no problem using FISH with other file operations like move ,copy, delete, or downloading files. I had no problems using FISH with Dolphin using KDE 4.7.4 on Ubuntu 11.04 with the same remote server. No problems uploading files with Filezilla.

Does not appear to be a KDE issue unless it was fixed in 4.7.4 but I could find no discussion of this on KDE.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Start Konsole. Then start Dolphin at the command-line. Do the copy operation via fish:// and watch the Konsole window for error messages.

Also, does it work if you use sftp:// instead of fish://?

sftp works ok. I noticed that with fish, it appears to be timing out as any file size less than about 32K works, but over that only 32K of the file makes it. The 32K is +/- a few hundred bytes, so that's why it appears to be time based. Oddly, with sftp, the dialog file progress halts briefly at the same point it hangs with Dolphin, then after a second or so, continues on to finish.

I couldn't make sense of using Dolphin on the command line.

Tried stuff like this:
$ dolphin --select /usr/home/file.txt [url=fish://root@example.com/remote/directory/]fish://root@example.com/remote/directory/[/url]

That opened Dolphin but it tried to open remote/directory and didn't establish a connection. Obviously I'm missing something to indicate the remote URL, and operation (copy). Hard to find understandable info on FISH.

Not sure if this means anything, but just starting Dolphin results in:
Code:
dolphin(74938) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index  31  is not within range (0 -  15 
UPnP device entered: "uuid:0000e098-10a0-00e0-c0a0-485800e808e0"

The remote server has PERL installed, so presumably FISH would use it.

You don't have to specify anything on the command-line, just start dolphin on its own, then use the GUI the way you normally would, and watch for errors in the Konsole output:
$ dolphin

It didn't throw any errors, just this:

Code:
dolphin(9684) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index  31  is not within range (0 -  15 
UPnP device entered: "uuid:0000e098-10a0-00e0-c0a0-485800e808e0"

I have the same problem. Just upgraded system (to FBSD FreeBSD 9) and ports (May 15th). Now files saved from Kate via fish are chopped just below 32K.

(NB: I can't start Dolphin from the command line)

I switched to SFTP until this gets fixed. I still don't know where the problem lies - not sure how to troubleshoot from here. I originally filed a bug under Dolphin but withdrew it since the problem doesn't exist using Dolphin with Ubuntu 11.04, though it could still be a Dolphin bug, but only with FBSD FreeBSD.

Many thanks for letting us know your progress. I have just updated my system again and the Fish save problem remains: the file gets chopped just below 32K. This 32K limit takes me back thirty years, when Bill said '64K should be enough for anyone'. I have also moved to SFTP.

I find that with Dolphin and Fish I can cut and paste a 70K file, and can read one, but I cannot save one. With Kate and Fish, similarly, I can load but cannot save. Other similar transports (SFTP and SCP) work fine both ways.

KDE 4.7.4, FreeBSD 9, all ports up to date.

Note that this is working fine on a Kubuntu 12.04 box, KDE 4.8.2. Maybe we just need to wait for the new port.

Back