fastest free web server: g-wan been measured by anyone? seems strong

How about
h2o
cherokee.org
and nginx and lighttpd are fast
apache with event mpm
any recent benchmarks by anyone on 14?

does varnish cache make this all moot?

Well, you really want to spread the load over multiple web servers in any case. Besides spreading the load it also allows you to take one or more webservers out of the pool, for maintenance/patching/updates for example, without interrupting your service. You don't put all your eggs in one basket.

How about
h2o
cherokee.org
and nginx and lighttpd are fast
apache with event mpm
any recent benchmarks by anyone on 14?

does varnish cache make this all moot?

I like haproxy for that..... I wonder would varnish cache do that for me or is it better to use haproxy as well?

Use h2o. Great web server sitting on the forward edge of server tech and fast as you can get. The developer is very active and approachable. It had h3 before nginx or apache did among other things.
My web dev company used it for about five years for three entertainment web sites. Lots of videos and images served plus credit card transactions. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.
Though my company is now closed, I still use it for my personal web site.

I like haproxy for that..... I wonder would varnish cache do that for me or is it better to use haproxy as well?
Why not both? Front end HAProxy splits traffic up to different sets of front end webservers, a set for dynamic content and a set for static content. The dynamic set has servers for PHP, Rails, Java, whatever you need. The static content is directed to a pair of heavy duty varnish servers that cache the content coming from a large, but relatively slow, fileserver. Database access can also be load-balanced through HAProxy over a couple of read-only slaves, with writes going to a single read/write master.

Why not both? Front end HAProxy splits traffic up to different sets of front end webservers, a set for dynamic content and a set for static content. The dynamic set has servers for PHP, Rails, Java, whatever you need. The static content is directed to a pair of heavy duty varnish servers that cache the content coming from a large, but relatively slow, fileserver. Database access can also be load-balanced through HAProxy over a couple of read-only slaves, with writes going to a single read/write master.
I was wondering if varnish does load balancing as well as haproxy to 2 bird one stone
simplification fewer moving parts
and of course
werc.cat-v.org > java/.net/rails/php+sql ;) why don't we have web over nfs yet? or 9p? plan9 style? ;)

hek I would think about
happstack.com
swi prolog
picolisp.com
gnu clog
forth
aidaweb.si
seaside.st
vely.dev (disappeared)
fortran.io lol

I was wondering if varnish does load balancing as well as haproxy to 2 bird one stone
Sure, it can. You can also configure nginx as a load-balancing reverse proxy. And use nginx for frontends and backends alike. But I also like using the best tool for each job. Also homogeneity is a bad idea from a security perspective. That's why Netflix uses a whole bunch of different operating systems for a whole bunch of different jobs.

simplification fewer moving parts
It depends on the situation. Scalability comes to mind. It's always good to keep any future growth into account when designing the infrastructure for a particular purpose. But sure, don't add any unnecessary complexity.

Sure, it can. You can also configure nginx as a load-balancing reverse proxy. And use nginx for frontends and backends alike. But I also like using the best tool for each job. Also homogeneity is a bad idea from a security perspective. That's why Netflix uses a whole bunch of different operating systems for a whole bunch of different jobs.

It depends on the situation. Scalability comes to mind. It's always good to keep any future growth into account when designing the infrastructure for a particular purpose. But sure, don't add any unnecessary complexity.
You are confirming kinda what I though insincively from experence!
Awesome!
freebsd-->haproxy-->varnish-->h20-->werc.cat-v.org
Awesommememem!!
Now I just need a gov or corp etc to fund me setting this all up and all the performance tunign hints n tricks on freebsd.org I can muster!
I love icewm by the way.

Back