Solved Evolution IMAP folders are empty

Hi all,

I am new to having a FreeBSD desktop and I was migrating over my e-mails on evolution. I have configured evolution with my imap accounts. Everything works, evolution says it is retrieving messages and refreshing folders and no errors are reported.

However all my accounts end up empty, with the message "There are no messages in this folder". This is repeated for all the folders in my accounts. The folder structure is present and correct, just no emails in any folders.

On my other non FreeBSD systems all the accounts are working and I can see the e-mails (including with evolution on Linux), so there is something specific about evolution on FreeBSD that seems to be causing this.

Is there something special I need to do on FreeBSD to get it to work?

There is nothing special to use Evolution on FreeBSD. Should be working out of the box.
I have a FreeBSD desktop with kde and evolution and using it for about 4 years. Always working well.

However did a package upgrade Q2-2024 on Sunday evening and ended up with the same mess you describe. Evolution reports
new emails but does not show the emails.

Means there is a bug in the q2-2024 package upgrade what is causing it. I upgraded around 400 packages on Sunday
and have no idea what package does the damage.

As it was Sunday afternoon and I needed a working computer for this week I just shut the FreeBSD box down and use a Linux laptop.

Quite frustrating.

Frustrating yes, but your post is also useful. I had not considered that I would hit a bug in evolution while migrating to FreeBSD. I thought that I had done something wrong with my configuration.

I checked the working evolution on my Linux laptop and that is version 3.46.4-2. The version installed on FreeBSD is 3.44.4, so slightly older. Is that the same version of evolution you are seeing the issue with?

No you have done nothing wrong. If you have installed it a week earlier you have not have had any problem.

You really hit a bug while installing it. I have had it working fine but the outcome is the same. I can see all the emails from before the upgrade
but no new one after the upgrade anymore.

Yes I use the same version 3.44.4 but thats not the point. There was no evolution upgrade. It's someting else.

Interesting, if it is not evolution itself, then how can you find out what the cause is (even to raise a bug report)?

There must be loads of underlying programs and libraries evolution relies on, any of which could be the cause.

I see no e-mails at all but as this is a fresh installation there was no "pre-upgrade" emails to show. My archive folder (which is a local maildir) however works, as does the caldav calendar.

To run into this bug was very bad timing for me. I have no time all week to deal with it.
However I go back to the boot environment before it happen this coming weekend and than have a close look at the upgraded packages and
whatever I can see.
If I can figure something out I let you know.

Well, I got some good news, I did a pkg update today and it updated 3 packages:

Code:
Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
    evolution-data-server: 3.44.4_6 -> 3.44.4_7
    gnutls: 3.8.5 -> 3.8.5_1
    py39-idna: 3.6 -> 3.7

Now evolution is working for me perfectly :) All the folders are showing e-mails.

Try updating yourself when you have some time and see if it works for you.

Thanks for the info and yes the little upgrade fixed it for me too.
Obvious evolution-data-server was the culprit.

All good now and just in case the maintainer is on this forums, Thank you for the quick fix.

Back