1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create cast (snapshot) of FreeBSD system.

Discussion in 'Installing and Upgrading FreeBSD' started by valsorym, Dec 4, 2011.

1. valsorym

valsorym New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

Some time ago I used Windows XP and Acronis True Image tool to create the snapshot the WinOS.
    All was good! I used two partition (C:\ and D:\) in my Os. On D:\ slice I stored personal data, work data and others informations. On C:\ I installed WinOS and configure it the "ideal", after used Acronis True Image and create snapshot C:\ slice.
    If after this my system broken (virus attack, bad software, curved hands or others) I reinstall my system of my snapshot (of 15-20 minutes).

Now I use FreeBSD 9.0. RC-2 but Acronis True Image do not work of UFS/ZFS file system. And snapshot idea intresting for me.
    I partition my HDD to next structure: /bot, /, SWAP, /var, /tmp, /usr, /home. Now I have idea:
    1. Boot from USB/CD FreeBSD Lite.
    2. Mount external HDD.
    3. One by one mount sections (/, /var, /usr, /home) and create snapshot for it (use tar archivers).

And if after this my system be broken, I recreate all slices and retar my snapshot to the desired section. (Slices /boot, SWAP, /tmp I create hand method).

How you think, It's good method? If not - why not? (and recomend your method, please).
    Thank you!

*** P.S. snapshot will be made to the same computer. (sorry for my English) - for different computers different snapshots.

2. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Thanks Received:
    valsorym thanks for this.
  3. valsorym

valsorym New Member

Thanks Received: