Complete Freeze 8.1 RELEASE (KDE/Gnome)

So I downgraded the port (using portdowngrade) to version 256.53 and rebuilt it. So far, so good. No more freeze since yesterday whereas they used to occur each time I opened a gdm session, about 20 minutes after logging. I am not advocating anything but I will think twice before updating the port version to that upcoming release.

By the way, generally speaking, does each available port undergo any kind of preliminary running checks, executed by some users, before being officially available ?
What about the committer himself ? I know that's a different duty but I feel curious...

I realize that it's not the downgrade itself that improved things, it's the forced upgrade of libDRI (thanks to SirDice advice). Need some more days to be sure this is rock solid... so far, it seems to be the case.

Another Freezing, 8.1 Anecdote

Same here with 8.1 KDE, Matrox G450. My system freezes around the time the screensaver should start. The OS installed the mga driver and all video functions are normal (for that card).
Having read all the above posts, I thought to try some screensaver setting changes. As soon as I clicked Screen Saver in System Settings--complete lockup. Must then force shutdown and restart.:(

8.1 Freeze bug may not exist.

Problem gone after downloading FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso and reburned a disk. I originally had FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso.gz.
So my conclusion is corruption anywhere from the image on the ftp site or somewhere along the way to the final image on the disk (I reused the same R/RW disk).

Strangely, disc1.iso would not fit on a CD.

Back