Can't find package

I have tried to install Gnome desktop. And it said that permission denied or package does not exist. What should I install to start using the packages system?

toweris said:
What i should install to start using packages system?
Nothing as it's part of the base system. But you're probably not doing it right. Just set the [fileb]PACKAGESITE[/file] environment variable to the proper (e.g. AMD64, 9-STABLE) package repository (or else it'll install RELEASE packages by default) and as root install any package using the pkg_add -r package_name command.

Telling us what command you're typing and what error it's giving you would really help.

The related Handbook page should give you all the information you need.

I entered pkg_add -r gnome2 and I got the following text:
Code:
Error unable to get  {(File adress)}. File  unavailable (e.g. file not found , no access)

I wrote only first part of error message, because my client does not allow me to copy.

Sorry for asking, but did you check that you were logged in as root? Sometimes I forget to do so and get messages similar to yours. I noticed too, that when you get this message for a dependency, trying to install explicitly this dependency may solve the problem.

Sometimes the message is about a dependency and not about the main program you're trying to install.
I noticed that
Code:
# pkg_add -r this_dependency
may work and enable you to carry on. What is the first error you get?

Code:
Error: unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/freeBSD/ports/and64/packages-8-stable/Latest/gnome2.tbz.
 File unavailable (e.g. file not found, no access
Sorry if I missed something. I wrote that from screen.

It's also possible that the package was broken in the last update of the repository and became temporarily unavailable.

Did you define it? How/in which file? And did you define it while being logged in as root?

The root user uses the C shell, so it would normally be defined in /root/.cshrc as
Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE <repository>
(or manually every time before issuing the pkg_add command).

You can set this variable in root's .cshrc with this command (if you use csh for this account):
Code:
# echo 'setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8-stable/Latest/' >> /root/.cshrc
I assume you're using FreeBSD 8.X because of your previous posts.

You need to log in again for the variable to be set.

I've done that and tried to install gnome and it gave the following:
Code:
pkg_add: can't stat package file 'gnome2'

You're still using the wrong URL perhaps. This should work. But it seems only the i386 version is available, so that may be the reason?

Copy the appropriate URL to the .cshrc file (without the "gnome2.tbz" of course).

I have copied that url to file , but still same text:
Code:
pkg_add: can't stat package file 'gnome2'

Like I undestand before running pkg_add -r gnome2 comand I need to run setenv PACKAGESITE command.

If you check /usr/ports/x11/gnome2/distinfo (not there), you'll see it is thusly a "metaport", installs other programs. So that is probably the reason there is no package.
Code:
 portmaster -d -B -PP x11/gnome2
or some variant of it... (A newbie myself with respect to installing metaports with a pkg installing tool...)

jb_fvwm2, metaports too have their packages. How would you install the entire Xorg, GNOME, Xfce, etc. from packages otherwise (other than installing everything manually of course)?
And the gnome2.tbz package exists (for i386 at least).

toweris, as I said in my last post, the package doesn't seem to exist for the AMD64 architecture. Do you get the same error with other packages? Also can you run the
% fetch [noparse]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/Latest/gnome2.tbz[/noparse]
command on your shell successfully?

Back