Can someone fix dmenu in Musca?

Hi!

I use FreeBSD 9 stable, wm is musca, but dmenu in musca does not run.

startx says:

Code:
 dmenu_path: not found

uname -a
Code:
  FreeBSD * 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Mon Apr 23 22:17:07 CST 2012 ...
pkg_info | grep musca
Code:
  musca-0.9.24        ...
pkg_info | grep dmenu
Code:
  dmenu-4.5           ...

I'm not sure it's my problem or bug.

There is no dmenu_path in the default dmenu package. You could either fix the port, install it manually or fix the musca configuration.

mod+d

As a rule of thumb, use musca conf to assign your desired key combination to launch dmenu. In old versions, it is bound to mod+v and in newer one, mod+d. Details by searching online "archlinux+musca" which gives you step by step instructions to configure musca. Hope this solves your concern.

/z

I do not run musca because I found wm/i3 as the most configurable tiling/floating window manager with lowest footprint. And with that dmenu runs pretty well both with FreeBSD8 and 9.

I make the configuration changes in the i3 configuration file. Details can be found at http://i3wm.org

DISCLAIMER: I tried all forms of window managers in the last 28 years including the most recent ones, but I found screen/tmux the best without X and i3 is the most configuration tiling/floating window managers with X. This is my own experience, others requirements and experience may vary.

/z

I run musca-0.9.24 with dmenu-4.5 on FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE and haven't had an issue. What are the contents of your dmenu_run file?

Back