1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approaching the limit on PV entries

Discussion in 'General' started by ccc, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ccc

ccc New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi

I've done Upgrade from freeBSD 7.0 Release to 7.3 and I'm getting a lot of these messages:
    Code:
    Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the
    vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable

Code:
    # sysctl vm.pmap
    vm.pmap.pmap_collect_active: 0
    vm.pmap.pmap_collect_inactive: 0
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_spare: 181432
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_allocs: 348739086
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_frees: 348574102
    vm.pmap.pc_chunk_tryfail: 0
    vm.pmap.pc_chunk_frees: 1320995
    vm.pmap.pc_chunk_allocs: 1322026
    vm.pmap.pc_chunk_count: 1031
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_count: 164984
    vm.pmap.pde.promotions: 0
    vm.pmap.pde.p_failures: 0
    vm.pmap.pde.mappings: 0
    vm.pmap.pde.demotions: 0
    vm.pmap.shpgperproc: 200
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_max: 922992
    vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled: 0

2. ccc

ccc New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW I cannot change using sysctl
    Code:
    # sysctl vm.pmap.pv_entry_max=1745520
    sysctl: oid 'vm.pmap.pv_entry_max' is read only

3. gordon@

gordon@ New Member Developer

Thanks Received:
    It's probably only able to be set at boot time. You can add an entry into /boot/loader.conf.

ccc thanks for this.
  4. ccc

ccc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thx, I can add in /boot/loader.conf, but first of all I must know which values should I set for vm.pmap.shpgperproc and vm.pmap.pv_entry_max.

5. ccc

ccc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I added the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:
    Code:
    # cat /boot/loader.conf
    sound_load="YES"
    snd_ich_load="YES"
    linux_load="YES"

vm.pmap.pde.mappings=68
    vm.pmap.shpgperproc=500
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_max=1743504
    and now this problem seems to be solved.

6. gkontos

gkontos Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Digging on an old thread, does anyone know what those values stand for and what might cause the need for adjusting them ?

I have googled a bit but haven't come up with a right answer yet.

Thanks,

George

7. Sylhouette

Sylhouette Member

Thanks Received:
  8. gkontos

gkontos Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Only Apache with PHP. I saw this message yesterday after almost 3 years with no issues. I also checked my logs and didn't find anything in particular at the time this message appeared.
    The only thing out of the usual yesterday was a sudden increase in swap usage which I saw in my munin graphs. 2 spikes.

Attached Files:

9. chrcol

chrcol New Member

Thanks Received:
    The setting is gone in 8.3 and I assume also 9.x, does this mean the limitation is removed altogether or is the value now hardcoded?

10. RedRat

RedRat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Code:
    ku-new:home/support# uname -prs
    FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p3 amd64

ku-new:home/support# sysctl vm.pmap.shpgperproc

ku-new:home/support# sysctl vm.pmap.pv_entry_max
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_max: 4274297

Why do you think these setting are gone?

11. binyo66

binyo66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry to bring this topic up. I got the error message
    an 26 18:09:05 freebsd1 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

when I check my vmap
    Code:
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_max: 3234117

which is much higher than ccc. Anyone knows what is this? and what the value I need to put it in? and I am using FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p5 amd64

12. adri

adri New Member

Thanks Received:
    vm.pmap.shpgperproc has a default value of 200.
    Try enabling superpages first:

Code:
    vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled = 1

If the message still continues, try increasing vm.pmap.shpgperproc by 50 until the message goes away.

13. binyo66

binyo66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @adri I will give a try. However to know the effect of your suggestion, might not be possible. Since the warning appeared without any reason that I know of, and after the server been used for 1 year+.

14. adri

adri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Binyo,

The only way to know, when the vm.pmap.shpgperproc is high enough, is to increment it and see if the message returns after a while.
    I am currently using about 750 on one of my servers, but this might be due to 1 process using 2Gb of VM rapidly forking about 15 times.

Adri.

15. binyo66

binyo66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the message from my new office desktop, which I just installed freebsd 9 on external usb, and boot from there. your suggestion didn't work, the message appeared right after boot up, before the logging prompt (it appeared every boot, except single user). I tried to increased to 250, still error... and I couldn't logged in just hang. So I increased to
    Code:
    vm.pmap.pv_entry_max="3000000"

and finally I saw the login prompt.

I was really confused... because I couldn't see the login prompt, except hang with the message, and I builded world with the source code that I took a week ago, and also the ports. I got KDE4 problem with dbus for regular users, but gnome working fine for every user, and so far not so many installed applications yet. Anyone knows what the problem here is? because I boot from USB (this is my first time installed and booted from USB) ?

16. dave

dave Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this is an old thread, but I ran into this the other day on an Amazon EC2 instance.

Code:
    FreeBSD hostname.here 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan  5 22:56:03 UTC 2012     root@ip-10-17-24-248:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XENHVM  amd64

I had just added a drive and enabled swap on it; previously there had been no swap space.

Coincidentally, I had an issue where the Apache error log file was being spammed with the following due to incorrect use of the -l flag in the rotatelogs directive in the conf of several sites. That was causing a considerable load on the disks containing log files. One or both of these problems were slowing Apache down.

Code:
    Usage: /usr/local/sbin/rotatelogs [-l] [-f] <logfile> {<rotation time in seconds>|<rotation size in megabytes>} [offset minutes from UTC]

Add this:

TransferLog "|/usr/local/sbin/rotatelogs /some/where 86400"

or

TransferLog "|/usr/local/sbin/rotatelogs /some/where 5M"

to httpd.conf. The generated name will be /some/where.nnnn where nnnn is the
    system time at which the log nominally starts (N.B. if using a rotation time,
    the time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize
    cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time or when the file size
    is reached a new log is started.
    UTC offset parameter is not valid with -l

In any case, I resolved the issue by gradually raising the vm.pmap.shpgperproc value until the problem went away, as suggested here. I realized the log spam issue right after that, upon follow-up investigation.

I don't know enough to even know what PV entries are, but I am curious if the two issues could be related? Can anyone chime in on this?