Apache - IP address default port?

I'm really new to apache (and I'm a newbie in networking), but how do I make my IP go to a default port? In apache I have:

Code:
Listen 78

and

Code:
ServerName 98.30.28.127:78

But when I type in 98.30.28.127, it doesn't work. I have to type 98.30.28.127:78 for it to work. Is it possible to make 78 the "default" port so when I go to 98.30.28.127, it goes to 98.30.28.127:78?

Another question: How can I make a domain work with apache? On my domain control panel, I can set a redirect and specify DNS name servers. It won't let me redirect to an IP address, so how can I use a domain with apache? Is this process complicated?

Any request for http://98.30.28.127 will go to port 80. There's no way to change this default.

Why on earth would you want to run your webserver on port 78?

Well it wasn't working before so I thought it was blocked. I port-forwarded port 80 and it worked. And to my next question: Is it complicated to set up my domain to work with apache so it points to my IP? I think I have to use BIND but configuration seems really complicated. Is there an easier way?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want a 'real' domain you'll have to register for one with a registrar. If you just want something to test on your own network BIND will do quite nicely.

SirDice said:
It depends on what you want to do. If you want a 'real' domain you'll have to register for one with a registrar. If you just want something to test on your own network BIND will do quite nicely.

No I already have a 'real' domain. How do I get it to work with apache? Is BIND necessary for this?

Back