Any other Squeezebox fans out there?

Yes, it is normal. You are installing from ports, so you are effectively building each application from source. This is the recommended way of installing applications on FreeBSD. When you run apt in CentOS, you are doing the equivalent of installing packages in FreeBSD. For more info on using ports vs packages in FreeBSD, see Installing Applications: Packages and Ports. Later, when it comes time to maintain (update) your ports, you may wish to look at the port portmaster.

Yep, like Dave says, a big difference between compiling from source code (ports) and installing pre-built binaries. Also you're running a minimal FreeBSD install, which means it will no doubt need to build a ton[ne] of other dependencies in order for the Squeezebox server to build.

sim

Thanks for the reply, Dave & Sim. It wasn't so much the compiling etc, which I could understand. It was the amount of compiling it needed. Never ever known anything to take that long. It was like a new install. It also needed a fair amount of free space before it cleaned everything up.

Yes, due to licensing, squeezeboxserver's binary package isn't available. So you need to compile it via ports. Ports system is also compiling and installing all squeezeboxserver dependencies. You could do a binary install (via pkg_add) of those dependencies and just compile squeezeboxserver via ports, which would go down way faster, but it isn't recommended for a number of reasons.

I couldn't get the lastest Squeezeboxserver-7.4 to install FreeBSD-8_x64 even though I compiled it from the latest ports updates etc.
For some reason, it didn't like mysql-5.5*. It complained about an unsupported locale setting which I then manually set to utf-8 but it still didn't sort the issue out.
Downgrading mysql to mysql-5.1.56 allowed squeezeboxserver to work although I suspect it may be something to do with perl also.

Hi, I am quite new to FreeBSD and have managed to install squeezebox server 7.5.4. I've set up a simple zfs pool ("store") and have put some music on there. When I go to scan the music folder it doesn't pick up anything at all, and I'm at a loss to remedy this.

Any ideas/hints greatly appreciated. I dont think I've necessarily set up zfs entirely correctly as on bootup I get messages like
Code:
cannot mount 'store'
but when I log in, store is there, mounted with music detected.

Apologies as this may be two issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you Blink, I have managed to enable ZFS and have solved all issues that relate to that.
However my problems with squeezebox server not scanning my music directory persists. I have read that squeezebox is very particular with which version of mysql you have running and that I may have to downgrade to the correct version.

But before I go to that trouble, was hoping that maybe someone on these forums had a simple fix?

Updated my SqueezeBoxServer

My new squeezeboxserver is now a virtual machine (in VirtualBox), which runs FreeBSD 8.3-stable:
Code:
root@kg-v5# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-v5.kg4.no 8.3-STABLE FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #0: Wed May  2 00:12:29 CEST 2012
     root@kg-v5.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
and the latest squeezeboxserver from ports:
Code:
root@kg-v5# portversion -v | grep squeeze
squeezeboxserver-7.5.4_4    =  up-to-date with port
It appears to work well. There are some errors in /var/log/squeezeboxserver/scanner.log:
Code:
[12-05-07 09:00:08.9384] main::main (180) Starting Squeezebox Server scanner (v7.5.4, r32171, Thu Apr 14 10:19:04 MDT 2011) perl 5.012004
[12-05-07 09:00:09.2678] DBIx::Class::Carp::__ANON__ (60) Warning: Class::C3::Componentised::load_components():
 Use of DBIx::Class::UTF8Columns is strongly discouraged. See documentation of DBIx::Class::UTF8Columns for more info
[12-05-07 09:00:09.3701] DBIx::Class::Carp::__ANON__ (60) Warning: DBIx::Class::Schema::connection():
 You provided explicit AutoCommit => 0 in your connection_info. This is almost universally a bad idea
 (see the footnotes of DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI for more info). If you still want to do this you can set $ENV{DBIC_UNSAFE_AUTOCOMMIT_OK}
 to disable this warning. at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Schema.pm line 290
[12-05-07 09:00:09.4730] Slim::Music::Import::runImporter (566) Starting Slim::Music::MusicFolderScan scan
[12-05-07 09:00:09.4738] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (307) Error: Unable to satisfy requested constraint 'primary',
 no values for column(s): 'id'
[12-05-07 09:00:09.4743] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (307) Backtrace:
but it doesn't look like it affects anything.

lou1z said:
For some reason, it didn't like mysql-5.5*. It complained about an unsupported locale setting which I then manually set to utf-8 but it still didn't sort the issue out.

Some depreciated functions were dropped in mysql-5.5.*. Since squeezeboxserver uses some of these it didn't work. Personally I manually patched the files to change these function after which it plays nicely with mysql-5.5.* as well.

mix_room said:
Some depreciated functions were dropped in mysql-5.5.*. Since squeezeboxserver uses some of these it didn't work. Personally I manually patched the files to change these function after which it plays nicely with mysql-5.5.* as well.

Can you provide the diffs, please?

Hello here,

maybe somebody here has some tips for me?

I have vortexbox (logitech squeezserver on redhat) in a VM. I would love to have squeezeslave and a upnp - client installed on zfsguru (freebsd9.1 RC3) to stream music to the onboard spdif.

The squeezeslave is "written down" on the slimdevices website. The upnp client i have no idea which one i could use. Every time i look for upnp i end up at websites where they handle upnp for nat-routers.

Maybe somebody has some tips on where to look?

Thanks,

Martijn

godfather007 said:
Hello here,

maybe somebody here has some tips for me?

I have vortexbox (logitech squeezserver on redhat) in a VM. I would love to have squeezeslave and a upnp - client installed on zfsguru (freebsd9.1 RC3) to stream music to the onboard spdif.

The squeezeslave is "written down" on the slimdevices website. The upnp client i have no idea which one i could use. Every time i look for upnp i end up at websites where they handle upnp for nat-routers.

Maybe somebody has some tips on where to look?

Thanks,

Martijn

You should take that question here: http://zfsguru.com/forum

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=7290

Back