64bit support for nvidia and creative

title says it.

basically i want to know if the 64bit editions of 7 support nvidia drivers, or creative x-fi pci card.

those are the 2 i need working to go bsd on my main home workstation.

this is my hardware
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - E7200 C2D @ 3.16 Ghz - XFX 9800GTX+ - 8GB Kingston DDR2 800 - Creative X-fi Music - BFG Ageia Phys-X 100 - Logitech X-530 5.1 Sound - Powered by 500W PS on a Samsung 2493HM Widescreen

so id like to go 64 so i can use my 8 gigs of ram. enjoy my 9800gtx+ on my widescreen and then enjoy the x-fi.

i know it is possible to get the x-fi working on linux, and nvidia 64 on linux, but 64bit support for freebsd is not there yet is it? or when will it? anybody have some comments, or insight?

Thanks!

p3n1x said:
title says it.

basically i want to know if the 64bit editions of 7 support nvidia drivers, or creative x-fi pci card.

Its the other way mate, nvidia and creative does not support 64bit FreeBSD.

Hello,

I use nvidia 9600 GT on my desktop (amd64).

I just needed to compile xorg from ports to use its nv driver.

My device section in xorg.conf is:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "Unknown Board"
        BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
        Option "MigrationHeuristic"  "greedy"
EndSection

It works great for standard desktop usage (desktop resolution 1920x1200). However I experienced some small problems with MPlayer and Firefox. MPlayer has some problems in full screen mode, but problably I caused this. Firefox could be slower on some sites, flash (linux-flashplugin-7.0r73_1) is working fine.

Just opened xorg log and it looks like 9800 GTX is supported by nv driver.

excellent...

right the other way around, creative and NV supporting bsd :)

well i believe ill give it a shot later. right now my logitech g15 keyboard does not get recognized when i boot from a net install cd :(

it still wouldnt even see my keyboard when i put on the usb/ps2 adapter.

but ill get it going soon enough

The "nv" driver doesn't have video playback acceleration, doesn't do multi-head and doesn't have power savings, the card will run at much higher power when you are idle or in 2D mode compared to the binary nvidia drivers. And of course no 3D and hence no google earth.

On the bright side, it seems to have less bugs.

The Creative X-Fi doesn't work at all. Not on i386, not on anything else.

The binary nvidia driver only works on i386.

Want better support? Ask Creative and NVidia..
Don't hold your breath in the meantime though ;)

My G15 works.. Sort of.. I can't select anything in the bootmenu, hence I can't use it to boot to single user mode.
Once the kernel is fully loaded it works like a normal keyboard though.

SirDice said:
The Creative X-Fi doesn't work at all. Not on i386, not on anything else.

The binary nvidia driver only works on i386.

Want better support? Ask Creative and NVidia..
Don't hold your breath in the meantime though ;)

My G15 works.. Sort of.. I can't select anything in the bootmenu, hence I can't use it to boot to single user mode.
Once the kernel is fully loaded it works like a normal keyboard though.
Didn't Creative recently start releasing their hardware specs and information relevant to driver creation? Not that that's an automatic driver, but it does speed things up.

Personally I'm not sure how useful that's going to be at this point considering that modern integrated sound chips seem to work fine and are all HD surround sound capable. A couple of years back it would have been a much bigger deal.

Still waiting on nVidia, it's truly a shame that right now the only decent choice for graphics on FreeBSD is ATI/AMD.

OK, pardon me, but why ya'll so fancy about 64bit, and not using PAE?
I know FreeBSD recommends using 64bit over PAE, but still, what is the reason?

hedwards said:
Still waiting on nVidia, it's truly a shame that right now the only decent choice for graphics on FreeBSD is ATI/AMD.

Actually, right now the only decent choice for graphics on FreeBSD is... nVidia. Same with Linux - closed source ATI drivers are unstable and cause all kinds of problems, while open source ATI and Intel drivers don't support much of the functionality and the supported pieces of 3D are slow. So, if one wants graphics card that actually works, the only choice is nVidia. The drawback of FreeBSD compared to Linux is that on FreeBSD, nVidia drivers don't work on amd64, one has to use x86 instead.

trasz@ said:
Actually, right now the only decent choice for graphics on FreeBSD is... nVidia. Same with Linux - closed source ATI drivers are unstable and cause all kinds of problems, while open source ATI and Intel drivers don't support much of the functionality and the supported pieces of 3D are slow. So, if one wants graphics card that actually works, the only choice is nVidia. The drawback of FreeBSD compared to Linux is that on FreeBSD, nVidia drivers don't work on amd64, one has to use x86 instead.

Is that your opinion, or are you speaking as a representative of the FreeBSD project?

[sarcasm]
Since ATI isn't a decent choice for graphics on FreeBSD, I guess I must be imagining that these two workstations are working so well with ATI video cards. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
[/sarcasm]

Adam

adamk said:
Is that your opinion, or are you speaking as a representative of the FreeBSD project?

Of course it's my personal opinion.

[sarcasm]
Since ATI isn't a decent choice for graphics on FreeBSD, I guess I must be imagining that these two workstations are working so well with ATI video cards.[/sarcasm]

I guess it's all about the definition of "so well". ;-)

kamikaze said:
Did any one mention that the NVidia driver runs under the GIANT lock. This is a major catastrophe under 7.x.

Could you explain? While it's true that getting rid of Giant is one of the biggest tasks going on since FreeBSD 5, it doesn't mean that in FreeBSD 7 Giant causes bigger problems than in, say, FreeBSD 5. It would be great if all the drivers were MPSAFE, but hey, this nVidia thing still works perfectly. Just not for amd64 ;-(

trasz@ said:
I guess it's all about the definition of "so well". ;-)

I have fully functioning Xv, very fast 2D (including RENDER and COMPOSITE support) via EXA, 3D acceleration good enough for compiz, openarena, ut2004, NeverwinterNights, even doom3 if I'm willing to set the quality down a little.

Oh, and it works on AMD64 :) I'd consider that "so well".

Adam

trasz@ said:
Could you explain? While it's true that getting rid of Giant is one of the biggest tasks going on since FreeBSD 5, it doesn't mean that in FreeBSD 7 Giant causes bigger problems than in, say, FreeBSD 5. It would be great if all the drivers were MPSAFE, but hey, this nVidia thing still works perfectly. Just not for amd64 ;-(

I guess it all depends on the definition of "perfectly". :)

Adam

ive settled for xubuntu now :( its decent

supports my sound and video no problems. flash too LOL!

freebsd still for my servers though!

trasz@ said:
Considering that this is a thread about amd64 and AMD providing support to developers, I'd say that's a better choice. And far better than the crap Intel keeps producing. Either way you don't get 3d, but at least with ATI you can get impatient and start writing yourself.

killasmurf86 said:
OK, pardon me, but why ya'll so fancy about 64bit, and not using PAE?
I know FreeBSD recommends using 64bit over PAE, but still, what is the reason?
nVidia drivers don't work in a PAE kernel either.

trasz@ said:
In deed it is a major catastrophe under 7.x, because it breaks the new fine grained locking. Just look how easy it is to lock the whole system with file system operations in 7.0.

On 7.0 I couldn't even play music on a single core machine, because every single file access caused an interruption.

adamk said:
I have fully functioning Xv, very fast 2D (including RENDER and COMPOSITE support) via EXA, 3D acceleration good enough for compiz, openarena, ut2004, NeverwinterNights, even doom3 if I'm willing to set the quality down a little.

Oh, and it works on AMD64 :) I'd consider that "so well".

I also have an ATI, because I'm almost convinced that NVidia does not really care about FreeBSD/amd64. And who wants an amd64 system crippled to i386?

What VGA card did you choose? I reached a bit "too high" and bought an RV630 based one. I'm still waiting for Xv support, but desktop works very well and as I read this thread, it seems it even works far better than with nv, which apparently cannot do full screen video playback. I have no problems with unaccelerated video playback, even at 1920x1200. :)

Back