Geom_raid5 on freebsd 8

Hello. I tried to use it but has no luck.
Here is a problem when compiling:

Code:
myhost# make -C /usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc   -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-
unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common  -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow 
-mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs 
-Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c /usr/src
/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c: In function 'g_raid5_workerD':
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c:2015: error: too many arguments to function 'kthread_exit'
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c: In function 'g_raid5_worker':
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c:2444: error: too many arguments to function 'kthread_exit'
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c: In function 'g_raid5_create':
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c:2635: warning: implicit declaration of function 'kthread_create'
/usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5/../../../geom/raid5/g_raid5.c:2635: warning: nested extern declaration of 'kthread_create'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/geom/geom_raid5.

Can anybody help?

They changed how kthread works and the compile commands thats where the errors come from. I think you just have to update the geom files to the current code. I'll update later with more detailed information, since I'm writing this vaguely from memory.

In FreeBSD 8.0, the kthread*(9) family of functions was renamed to be the
kproc*(9) family of functions, as they were misnamed and actually pro-
duced kernel processes. A new family of different kthread_*(9) functions
was added to produce real kernel threads. See the kthread(9) man page
for more information on those calls. Also note that the
kproc_kthread_add(9) function appears in both pages as its functionality
is split.

From kproc manpage for FreeBSD 8: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=kproc&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html

I'm pretty sure the problem is related to this.

@red_spirit what code are you using?

I needed to change the subversion code thusly. Since the code in SVN doesn't compile, that code does panic however.

so much to do, so little time

dennylin93 said:
Perhaps a bit unrelated, but does anyone know why geom_raid5 hasn't been added to HEAD yet?

Because the code doesn't work? As said, the SVN code doesn't even compile and if you try to run it it panics.

It could also be that it is more prioritized to put available efforts into ZFS, since there is a raid5 alternative through GEOM.

Back