Gnome 2.28...port updated?

Hi all,

I probably shouldn't be posting, due to the intake of a few adult beverages, but I came home to finish my install, and I could about just chuck this machine in the street right now.

Did a User config install without ports from the disc, then installed and updated the ports from the ftp, took 3 hrs to install freakin Xorg, building, compiling, waiting on downloads..etc.

Went and had some drinks..very rare that I do, and came home to run make install clean on Gnome2....and its 2.26, why is this?

I Googled online, and from what I read, it said the port had ateast been updated to 2.28. I noticed the FreeBSD page said 2.26, but when I Googled 2.28, that page came up in the first listing, so I thought my phone browser was being a piece, and not showing some stuff...it does that.

I don't get it...its staring to irritate me. I have FreeBSD running good on another drive, but I snagged a Raptor drive, and was going to just start a fresh install, with the latest ports, and Linux f10, cause I had been basically using the other install to learn on.

3 installs now, many hrs wasted, and its installing and configuring Gnome 2.26.....Im so delighted!

The other two installs I was trying to get Enlightenment running.

Probably should have read the description file, but I figured it was all good. I knew I jinxed myself the other day, when I was thinking to myself how smoothly it was going.

Thanks

Gnome is at 2.26.3 in the ports tree.

Code:
# $FreeBSD: ports/x11/gnome2/Makefile,v 1.157 2009/07/04 08:27:30 kwm Exp $
#   $MCom: ports-stable/x11/gnome2/Makefile,v 1.7 2009/04/16 10:56:46 kwm Exp $
#

PORTNAME=       gnome2
PORTVERSION=    2.26.3
PORTREVISION?=  0

GNOME 2.28 is taking a while to port because of its heavier dependence on DeviceKit.

In 2.26 only the power manager depends on DeviceKit, so it was held at 2.24 for the 2.26 port:

Code:
[root@Emi#/usr]pkg_info|grep gnome-power
gnome-power-manager-2.24.4_5 Power management system for the GNOME Desktop

Thanks DutchDaemon,

For some reason I was thinking everybody was running 2.8 if they were up to date, and got lazy on reading the make or desc files before I ran make.

Think I need to find an old pc to run here at the house also, for browsing, reading..etc, because Ive about had it with Pocket IE.

jnr,

Appreciate the info, while browsing for 2.8, I did come across some of what you mentioned on devicekit, that was one of the reasons I was hoping to upgrade, but I didnt realize the work it took to get 2.8 ported.

Sure wish I knew enough to help develop. I gotta get the basics down good, before I even start to think about other things, if I even do get there.

Back