bind9 "UDP socket: address family not supported" problem

Hi guys,

I'm trying to fix this for quite a while now, without any results, that's why I'm here.

So here is the problem: I'm trying to run a test instance of named from uid!=0 shell (I've got no root access here)
, by starting:

named -4 -c named.conf -d 3 -u 5157

I've got multiple interfaces to bind to, and on each and every one of them I get this:

13-Sep-2009 23:33:54.971 listening on IPv4 interface lo0, 127.0.0.1#10053
13-Sep-2009 23:33:54.971 could not listen on UDP socket: address family not supported

what can be the problem? I've managed to run bind on higher ports from any uid without any problems.

My current bind is:

volt% named -V
BIND 9.6.1-P1 built with '--prefix=/usr' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--enable-threads' '--disable-ipv6' '--enable-getifaddrs' '--disable-linux-caps' '--with-openssl=/usr' '--with-randomdev=/dev/random' '--without-idn' '--with-libxml2=/usr/local'

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

koper said:
I've managed to run bind on higher ports from any uid without any problems.

What's different this time then? I'm assuming you're still trying to bind to a high port? Is there anything more detailed in a log file somewhere?

That's rather "I had managed to do this before"... sorry ;)

no more details in bind log. It looks that the problem exists during any kind of IP communication by bind (that includes sending master-slave zone communications):

14-Sep-2009 00:53:06.106 zone XXX.pl/IN/external: sending notify to 10.10.10.13#10053
14-Sep-2009 00:53:06.106 dns_request_createvia
14-Sep-2009 00:53:06.106 dns_request_createvia: failed address family not supported

I suspect some kind of limitations for regular user account...
on the other hand I have no trouble binding to higher udp port (for instance with netcat).

Thanks!

Very long shot:

could you try adding
Code:
files 1024;
to the options in named.conf?

DutchDaemon: tried it already, also with even smaller file limits, same thing happens :(

little more info about limitations:
volt% ulimit -a
-t: cpu time (seconds) 1000
-f: file size (blocks) unlimited
-d: data seg size (kbytes) 33554432
-s: stack size (kbytes) 8192
-c: core file size (blocks) 0
-m: resident set size (kbytes) unlimited
-l: locked-in-memory size (kb) unlimited
-u: processes 100
-n: file descriptors 512
-N 9: socket buffer size (kb) unlimited
-v: virtual memory size (kb) unlimited
-N 11: unlimited

sys:
volt% uname -v
FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Sep 5 18:59:28 CEST 2009

Are you confined to a jailed/chroot'ed environment with limited access to (creating) sockets?

DutchDaemon said:
Are you confined to a jailed/chroot'ed environment with limited access to (creating) sockets?

Nope, regular system account, no chrooting, etc.

I am able to bind to a higher port with nc -l local <port> (also with -u for UDP)

Well, not having run BIND any other way than 'start as root, drop to bind', I can only suggest going back to a bare-bones installation (e.g. dropping openssl/dnssec and other added functionality, and maybe replacing the compile-time paths to point to directories owned by you -- unless the entire installation already chroot's to your directory) and a bare-bones config (only include the minimal necessities) and see if it will start and which additions break it eventually.

Back