very slow gnome startup in FreeBSD 6.4 RC2

I installed FreeBSD 6.4 RC2 (from the i386 DVD iso image). All went as I expected, but when gnome starts up it is very slow. Namely after I enter the user name and password in the GDM window and I press enter the icons and background image is not visible for 2, 3 minutes, also the gnome startup screen remains there, only if I click with the mouse somewhere on the desktop, only then disappears

kantor said:
Yes I have gnome_enable="YES" (that starts hal, dbus, and all the gnome related services . . .)

I read those informations from that url (http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q20) and all is set like is told there, but the problem is the same.

So, unset gnome_enable="YES". Only set dbus_enable and hald_enable. Do not start gdm by any other means (like /etc/ttys).

Login on the console only. Type
Code:
dbus-launch lshal
. See if this takes a similar time to finish.

If so, you're likely seeing a scanning problem in your hardware and my first guess would be to USB hubs. Check the halfaq for examples on how to stop HAL from probing specific devices and resolve the offending hardware by elimination.

Since a mouse click "fixes" it, if you have an USB mouse, it's a very likely candidate, so find out through dmesg which usb hub it's connected to and any devices in that chain.

here is my ifconfig output

vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
inet 192.168.32.46 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 192.168.32.63
ether 00:0f:ea:b2:87:2a
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
inet 79.114.86.137 --> 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff
Opened by PID 778

thanks for the help Mel_Flynn. I tried exactly as you told me, but with no results. The dbus-launch lshal executes quiet fast.
I tried all kind of combinations (some of them maybe useless), like disabling IP address DHCP, disabling mouse driver, disabling completely hal and dbus . . . but the problem is the same.
However remember that this problem occurs only in FreeBSD 6.4 RC2, in FreeBSD 6.3 or 7.0 gnome works fine.

Also I observed that I'm getting the below errors on ttyv0 (virtual console), now I don't know if this has something to do with my problem, I just post this because I saw no such things in 7.0 or 6.3 release:

Nov 24 22:55:56 freebsd console-kit-daemon[687]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_hash_table_lookup: assertion hash_table != NULL'' failed
Nov 24 22:55:56 freebsd console-kit-daemon[687]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion hash_table != NULL'' failed

braveduck said:
Had the same problem. The http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13502 Mdg583 provided was very helpful, to be exact, the following solved the problem:

Thanks ! this fixes the problem, but I think it is not normal, it is not normal because in 6.3 or 7.0 (and older versions) you don't need to do that, and in normal circumstances you shouldn't edit such files to have a correctly working gnome, could be that a bug ?

Well, I had this problem on 7.1 prerelease, not on 6.4rc2. Whatever, have no idea whether it is a gnome bug or something missed in the setup process...

curious

Hi,

How was kantor able to record the following messages
Code:
Nov 24 22:55:56 freebsd console-kit-daemon[687]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_hash_table_lookup: assertion hash_table != NULL'' failed
Nov 24 22:55:56 freebsd console-kit-daemon[687]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion hash_table != NULL'' failed
which he quotes here.
I can see these messages only when I restart or shutdown gnome ( FreeBSD ) and that too it stays only very briefly on the screen.

Warm Regards
Gaura

Hi guys,
That thread helped me a lot. I have installed gnome on 7.3-release and after launching it, the desktop appeared (with everything - menus, icons, bars), but was totally unresposnive - mouse and keyboard were frozen.

As I am building a file server, the GUI is not launched on system start, so I do not have gnome_enable="YES" in rc.conf. My problem was fixed after I have added hald_enable="YES" in rc.conf. Maybe that helps some1.

Regards,
#

kuki said:
As I am building a file server, the GUI is not launched on system start, so I do not have gnome_enable="YES" in rc.conf. My problem was fixed after I have added hald_enable="YES" in rc.conf. Maybe that helps some1.
You need hald and dbus. You will also need to have /proc mounted.

Back