Which desktop environment do you use at home?

Which desktop environment do you use (the most) at home?

• Other

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • If you voted "No desktop environment", please specify which window manager you use below.
  • If you voted "Other", please elaborate below.
  • Otherwise, please keep any discussions centralised in [thread=42579]this thread[/thread] instead.
Thank you.

To elaborate on my vote: I use FVWM2 at home (made to look like 4Dwm and (to some extent) Indigo Magic, as found on old SGI Indy machines).

Other, as it depends on
  1. CPU
    • architecture
    • available instructions
    • processor speed
    • number of available processors and cores
  2. Available RAM
  3. Available disk space
  4. Operating system
  5. Purpose and use of computing device.
  6. User of computing device.
  7. Screen size.
  8. Graphics card.
  9. Memory dedicated or allotted for graphics.

"The most" is a difficult answer. I guess it depends on what I'm doing. I have a small custom-built NAS/backup desktop that runs FreeBSD, and has XFCE4 on it, my little girl has a repurposed Macbook Pro that runs ArchLinux with KDE, my wife's laptop is Windows 8, and my desktop system dual boots FreeBSD with KDE, with Windows 7.

Information about the backup? Well, from about June until now, my main desktop has had a fried video card, so I connected the FreeBSD box to my monitor, and used it. I wound up putting XFCE4 on it.

Once I got my other machine running, I haven't really touched it since.

I have multiple machines so it's hard to say which I use the most. It's mainly a mix of XFCE, Awesome and the plain old console.

i3 is what I like the most and flexible with unlimited options.

#portmaster -d --no-confirm x11-wm/i3 x11/i3status x11/dmenu

is what you need to start with. I do not use any display manager, but append
Code:
exec i3
into ~/.xinitrc

CDE for me usually. Occasionally I may create a ZFS snapshot of my /usr/local and experiment with other DEs or WMs, but I seem to fall back to CDE every time.

I was a die-hard x11-wm/spectrwm fan, until I tried WMFS2 which I compiled from source.

Last time I checked the version in ports was version 1, and is very different from version 2 (WMFS was a dynamic tiling WM, and WMFS2 is a manual tiling WM).

Back