How to create a zpool.cache from livefs?

I'm a bit stuck here. I'm trying to clone a computer to a VM. So, I booted from a LiveFS CD, partitioned/sliced the disk, copied the files using zfs send/recv and scp (for the UFS /boot). The kernel boots just fine, but it won't mount my ZFS root.
I get:

Code:
Trying to mount root from zfs:tank/root
Manual root filesystem specification:
<fstype>:<device> blah blah...

So, I tried
Code:
vfs.zfs.debug=1
and it turns out it's looking for the guid 203643... and/or ad0s1e (which is the case on the "real", cloned computer, I guess (and know for the slice)!), but finds da0s1d and 522839... which is the case on THIS one.
I then noticed/realized that I need to update /boot/zfs/zpool.cache. So I booted up the livefs, imported the pool (zpool import -R /alt tank) and exported it. No zpool.cache anywhere.
It seems that you MUST import it WITHOUT altroot (-R), but if I do that, the entire environment goes FUBAR when the CD / is shadowed by my ZFS root, and nothing works!

So, my question is: how am I supposed to create the file if I can't import the pool, and importing the pool is the only way?

I finally fixed this. Finally as in I've been at it constantly for like 2.5 hours. Ugh.
Anyway, this post led me on the right path. What I did was, something like:

Boot LiveFS, choose fixit mode
Code:
cd /mnt2/boot/kernel
kldload ./opensolaris.ko ; kldload ./zfs.ko
(I knew this far already, but then I did: )
Code:
zpool import -f -R /alt tank
zfs set mountpoint=none tank/root
mkdir /boot/zfs
zpool export tank; zpool import tank
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt2/lib (I think?)
mkdir /myboot; mount /dev/da0s1a /myboot
cp /boot/zfs/zpool.cache /myboot/boot/zfs/
zfs unmount -a
zfs set mountpoint=/ tank/root
reboot

It took me a fair amount of tries until I managed to find that damn zpool.cache. I *think* it was being removed when I exported the pool, but I'm not sure.

Configuring and installing ZFS from 9.x?

How would you accomplish this using the 9.0 CDs and DVDs? Gone are the MFS previously used by the CDs and DVDs, thus no place to temporary save the /boot/zfs/zpool.cache file prior to transferring it to your boot data set.

Until this minor setback is resolved, I guess you either need an existing system or you need to install from 8.2-RELEASE, prior to configuring your new zroot data pool and its associated file systems.

Ximalas said:
How would you accomplish this using the 9.0 CDs and DVDs? Gone are the MFS previously used by the CDs and DVDs, thus no place to temporary save the /boot/zfs/zpool.cache file prior to transferring it to your boot data set.

Until this minor setback is resolved, I guess you either need an existing system or you need to install from 8.2-RELEASE, prior to configuring your new zroot data pool and its associated file systems.
You can do it using in a different method.

Hi,

I was having similar problem. I have got own distro with read only root fs. So I needed mount little partition to /boot/zfs. It was simply, but this mountpoint has mounted after the zpool tried import pool via, still non exist, /boot/zfs/zpool.cache.

There is my solution:

/etc/rc.d/bootzpool
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#

# PROVIDE: bootzpool
# BEFORE: zvol zfs
# KEYWORD: nojail

. /etc/rc.subr

name="bootzpool"
start_cmd="bootzpool_start"
stop_cmd="bootzpool_stop"
load_rc_config $name
: ${bootzpool_dev:=/dev/da0s1d}

rcvar="zfs_enable"

bootzpool_start()
{
        echo "mounting /boot/zfs..."
        /sbin/fsck -t ufs $bootzpool_dev >/dev/null 2>&1 && \
                /sbin/mount -o noatime $bootzpool_dev /boot/zfs >/dev/null 2>&1
}

bootzpool_stop()
{
        /sbin/umount /boot/zfs
}

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

Last two lines in the scripts are needless. I forgot them from old tested version.

And one important note: the zfs has to be loaded like as a module. If the zfs is included in kernel, this hack won't work.

Back