Vim upgrade to 7.3.1276 - no gui and no make config

Hi, I'm running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p4. Today, as part of a routine update, I upgraded editors/vim to 7.3.1276. It built and works but now there is no GUI support. The install says
Code:
Big version without GUI
I believe the old default was huge version with GUI..

I deinstalled and tried to run make config, but now it says
Code:
===> No options to configure
I also tried make rmconfig and then make config but got the same message: no options to configure. Before this update, you could run make config and set the options you wanted.

I also tried make WITH_X11=yes WITH_GTK2=yes install clean, and it compiled without complaint, but the install was the same as before
Code:
Big version without GUI

What happened? How do I fix this? I need my gvim. TYVM.

You're right ... in any case, try updating your ports tree again -- there is another version now, vim-7.3.1276_1, although it still doesn't show anything when you call # make config.

Still, it installs gvim automatically. If you cannot see it, just use # rehash after update. Unfortunatelly for you, it's just a symlink to vim.

My compilation settings for gvim in /etc/make.conf
Code:
WITH_OPTIONS=YES
vim_SET+=CSCOPE EXUBERANT_CTAGS GTK2 LUA NLS PERL PYTHON RUBY TCL X11
vim_SET+=XTERM_SAVE
vim_UNSET+=ATHENA GNOME MOTIF

I got really annoyed with editors/vim today because I discovered that it had installed stuff such as lang/tcl and lang/ruby while I really have no need for all that stuff. It's unwanted overhead for me.

I was under the impression that the update would honour my previous configuration, but no such luck.

I'm still not 100% happy, but a bit less annoyed since I discovered how I can get rid of most of the "bloat":

Code:
# VIM configuration
VIM_PORT_SCRIPT_LANGS="lua perl python"
If you add that to /etc/make.conf it will honour your choice and ignore languages such as Tcl and Ruby.

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to ignore cscope as well. Fortunately cscope isn't exactly big, but it sure gives a feeling as if you're no longer in control how editors/vim is to be installed. Quite a shame too in my opinion (if I could help it I'd also want to get rid of the examples and documentation).

ShelLuser said:
I'm still not 100% happy, but a bit less annoyed since I discovered how I can get rid of most of the "bloat":

Code:
# VIM configuration
VIM_PORT_SCRIPT_LANGS="lua perl python"
If you add that to /etc/make.conf it will honour your choice and ignore languages such as Tcl and Ruby.

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to ignore cscope as well. Fortunately cscope isn't exactly big, but it sure gives a feeling as if you're no longer in control how editors/vim is to be installed. Quite a shame too in my opinion (if I could help it I'd also want to get rid of the examples and documentation).

You may ignore any stuffs in "vim_UNSET" line

Code:
WITH_OPTIONS=YES
vim_SET+=EXUBERANT_CTAGS GTK2 LUA NLS PERL PYTHON X11
vim_SET+=XTERM_SAVE
vim_UNSET+=CSCOPE ATHENA GNOME MOTIF RUBY TCL

ShelLuser said:
I usually build editors/vim-lite with only the things I really want added to it. I put the following in /usr/ports/editors/vim-lite/Makefile just before the .include line at the end (yes, I do want the documentation and examples):
Code:
PORT_OPTIONS= DOCS EXAMPLES X11 GTK2
It's probably not the prettiest solution but it works for me.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm very reluctant with adding options such as WITH_OPTIONS to make.conf because I can't determine the possible impact it may have on other ports. That's basically my biggest concern; I don't want to use an option which I'll have to enable and disable whenever I'm messing with editors/vim, I'm too lazy for that ;)

I'll definitely look into editors/vim-lite whenever I get the chance.

My main idea is basically to include stuff such as documentation and such on my main server, but on the rest I don't want it included since there's no need, and it may save me some disk space too.

ShelLuser said:
I'll definitely look into editors/vim-lite whenever I get the chance.
Essentially, editors/vim-lite is just editors/vim with (almost) no options. I think that's called a slave port. But by tweaking the Makefile of editors/vim-lite as described above you can explicitly add the options you do want (e.g. PERL, PYTHON, X11, etc.) rather than having to figure out how to disable the stuff you don't want. Personally, I find the former more convenient.

It does puzzle me though that apparently there's no configuration screen for editors/vim anymore. There is an options file in /usr/ports/editors/vim but neither make config nor portmaster --force-config editors/vim seem to produce a configuration dialog. And yes, even with ports-mgmt/dialog4ports installed.

Edit: Without any options manually added to editors/vim-lite:
Code:
[CMD=%]cd /usr/ports/editors/vim-lite[/CMD]
[CMD=%]make all-depends-list[/CMD]
/usr/ports/devel/gettext
/usr/ports/converters/libiconv
Pretty lean, eh?

Back