The ports system is broken

I updated my ports database as usual like so: # portsnap fetch update. After that I decided to install a port but suddenly this error appears:
Code:
open conditional:
	 at line 134 (evaluated to true)
I googled for it but it looks like my situation is the first, any clue?

I'd just remove /var/db/portsnap/tag and /usr/ports and run a clean portsnap fetch extract before delving any deeper. This may be a simple write or copy error in a file.

This doesn't solve my problem either, also, I looked at this thread and tried what he did but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Exactly as @DutchDaemon suggested, you can copy /usr/ports to safe location, and refetch the entire ports tree.
Code:
# rm -rf /var/db/portsnap/tag
# cp -R /usr/ports /root/ports.bak
# rm -rf /usr/ports
# portsnap fetch extract
If all went well, you can delete the backup # rm -rf /root/ports.bak. If the problem persists, consider using devel/subversion to update your ports tree:
Code:
# rm -rf /usr/ports
# cp -R /root/ports.bak /usr/ports
# make -C /usr/ports/devel/subversion install clean
# rm -rf /usr/ports
# svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head
# cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex
If you want to make a complete switch to devel/subversion you can follow this blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
1 open conditional:
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

jozze said:
you can copy /usr/ports to safe location, and refetch the entire ports tree.
Code:
# cp -R /usr/ports /root/ports.bak
# rm -rf /usr/ports
Ew, I can hear the disk spinning like hell. Wouldn't it be easier to do a simple renaming?
# mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.bak

SIFE said:
Code:
1 open conditional:
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

One of your configuration files is improperly written. Post your make.conf, so we can see if the problem lies there, and any other files you edited prior to this problem (maybe portsnap.conf). Also, maybe you edited files in /usr/ports/Mk directory. If you had, show us. It could be that you set up an `if' clause inside there. Now your make program cannot work, due to a poorly written make-file.

SIFE said:
I updated my ports database as usual like so: # portsnap fetch update. After that I decided to install a port but suddenly this error appears
Which FreeBSD version are you using?

Code:
FreeBSD 8.4-PRERELEASE
Updating src and building kernel fails too with some error message.

Yes, of course, that's why knowing your make.conf is of vital importance. Your configuration files are improperly written. I hate to repeat myself, but

jozze said:
One of your configuration files is improperly written. Post your make.conf, so we can see if the problem lies there, and any other files you edited prior to this problem (maybe portsnap.conf). Also, maybe you edited files in /usr/ports/Mk directory. If you had, show us. It could be that you set up an `if' clause inside there. Now your make program cannot work, due to a poorly written make-file.

because make.conf is just another make-file.

Mr @jozze, I didn't notice your comment at first, later I moved my /etc/make.conf, and ports system back on again, after that I checked my old configuration and I found the error.

Problem solved now, thanks to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back