curl Unrecognized archive format

Can anyone shed some light on why this might happen? I am trying to upgrade ports using portmaster. For some reason, I am getting a stop. Why would the port be published in an unrecognized format?

Code:
===>  License MIT accepted by the user
===>  Found saved configuration for curl-7.24.0_3
===> Fetching all distfiles required by curl-7.24.0_3 for building
===>  Extracting for curl-7.24.0_3
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for curl-7.24.0.tar.lzma.
===>   curl-7.24.0_3 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.12.4 - found
tar: Unrecognized archive format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ftp/curl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ftp/curl.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this is unrelated to the actual port, I just tried this myself and the tarball involved (which you can download manually here) has no problems.

The easiest way to solve this is to check the /usr/ports/distfiles directory and locate curl-7.24.0.tar.lzma. I'd suggest to delete it, then run # make clean in the ftp/curl directory followed by either # make build or if you only want to check the archive integrity: # make fetch extract.

This should solve it. Like I said; I just downloaded this file myself using this very same procedure and I get no error messages during the extraction phase.

There was a similar thread on freebsd-ports some time ago and it turned out that builtin tar(1) has no support for LZMA compression on 8.2 and before (if I remember this right). That's why it's a good question to ask which version of FreeBSD is involved since 8.2 is now EoL and unsupported by the ports(7) system.

Thanks for all the input. I am running 8.2 on an old DNS server and that's the issue I guess. Time to upgrade. Kind of sad, because uptime on that machine is 407 days and counting. :)

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/archivers/libarchive
# make install clean

# ln -sf /usr/local/bin/bsdtar /usr/bin/tar
# tar --version
bsdtar 3.1.2 - libarchive 3.1.2

Sadok said:
Code:
# make install clean

# tar --version

Yes, I found the same workaround on another site, and that's exactly what I did.

Uptine: 410 days and counting. :)

Sadok said:
Code:
# make install clean

# tar --version

This solved it for me.

Time to upgrade a few systems from 8.2 to 8.4...

Back