Why FreeBSD team does not accept bitcoin donations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer-related people love FreeBSD for its freedom and open-source way and love Bitcoin for the same. They (and me too) will be glad to share bitcoins a little with your team - you can pay for hosting or hardware or buy usual fiat money for bitcoins.

I want to donate bitcoins as an energy for further FreeBSD development to your team only without any mediators (paypal, banks etc) and in my country bitcoin is a very straight method to do so.

Will you publish your bitcoin address to accept bitcoin donations on the http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/ page of the FreeBSD official site?

Thanks.

It's a reasonable suggestion. I don't think it'd be much work to set up a wallet for donations (though I don't use Bitcoin, so maybe someone else can chime in there).

In addition to raising some additional funding for new projects, setting up a Bitcoin wallet for donations would also be a good PR move to take advantage of all the press Bitcoin is getting right now. For example, this article was all over the various tech news sites a few weeks back:

http://blog.archive.org/2013/04/03/how-the-internet-archive-is-having-great-time-with-bitcoin/

Similarly, FreeBSD (and BSD in general) has a good reputation amongst security and privacy advocates, and providing a way for them to donate anonymously would only help FreeBSD's image.

The forums are not really the place for this query, since it serves the user community, not FreeBSD's funding. OP needs to address The FreeBSD Foundation.

drhowarddrfine said:
Why is this your first post topic?
I landed from Mars before yesterday.

kpa said:
Because it smells heavily like spam.
Do you want to say "If you're accepting BITCOINS you are accepting COMMUNISM!" ;)
"Bitcoins non olet", (c) Roman emperor Vespasian.
[ 'Bitcoins' is plural, 'olet' is not; use 'olent' -- Mod. ]

It is so simple. I've got bitcoins and I want to send a little to FreeBSD team - I dont know all the burocracy "foundation" it or not - but publishing bitcoin address on off. site donations page removes all questions about address authority.

jackp said:
I don't think it'd be much work to set up a wallet for donations (though I don't use Bitcoin, so maybe someone else can chime in there).
Maybe don't need to download and setup original bitcoin client - many online wallets with strong security appeared, FreeBSD accountant can use any of them, backing up the address private key.

DutchDaemon said:
The forums are not really the place for this query, since it serves the user community, not FreeBSD's funding. OP needs to address The FreeBSD Foundation.
Please send a link to this thread to the right person.

Beastie said:
Hello and welcome on board.
Concerning your request, you should consider contacting the FreeBSD Foundation.

Thanks, I've send a letter to [ board at freebsdfoundation dot org ] with my question and a link to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back