How to install pre-packaged software from DVD FreeBSD 9.1

Hi,

I installed the FreeBSD 9.1 Base from DVD withour problems. How can I install the pre-packaged software from the same media? With bsdinstall or sysinstall is not working.

Regards
John999

I would like to do the same but,what am I doing wrong? I mounted the dvd by typing

Code:
# mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom

Then I do
Code:
# cd /cdrom/packages/ && pkg_add -r gnome

and I get

Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9.1-release/Latest/gnome.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9.1-release/Latest/gnome.tbz' by URL

I would appreciate it. I actually wanted to install Xfce but since I am getting way too many errors compiling it I thought to install Gnome from the DVD.
I will appreciate all advice, thanks

pkg_add(1):

Code:
     -r, --remote
             Use the remote fetching feature.  This will determine the appro-
             priate objformat and release and then fetch and install the pack-
             age.

Thank you, it was good.
I have Gnome now on my desktop enviroment, I wanted Xfce but it is fine for now. The packages are in the directory /packages/All

Again Thank you!

john999 said:
Hi,

I installed the FreeBSD 9.1 Base from DVD withour problems. How can I install the pre-packaged software from the same media? With bsdinstall or sysinstall is not working.
I remember long ago FreeBSD had a basic install able to install packages too and not just the bare base system. I'm surprised they even dismissed this basic then valuable feature, especially for new users. In this actual conditions, who want to try FreeBSD? Just Masoch disciples would :)

To install the packages from DVD/ISO image executed these steps:

If you use a iso file:
# mdconfig -a -f /path/to/iso/FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso to create a new device. In the console the name of the new device ca be md0 or md1 or md2 ...
# mount_cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt/iso to mount the device md0 into /mnt/iso. /mnt/iso must exist.

If you use the DVD distribution:
# mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt/dvd to mount the device cd0 into /mnt/dvd. /mnt/dvd must exist. The name of the device (cd0) unit appear in the /var/log/messages. You can use "tail -f /var/log/messages" before you insert the DVD to identify the device name. A external USB unit can be very well identified as "cd1".

After you have mounted the DVD/ISO:
# cd /mnt/iso/packages/All switch into this directory
# pkg_add <full_name of_package> to install the new package
For example: # pkg_add gnome2-2.32.1_4.tbz In this way we can install gnome2 with all dependencies
You can install so many packages as you wish, the dependencies are automatically resolved. But, the DVD/ISO contain only a small "repository" of packages, more packages are only available online or from ports. To install new packages from internet repository use "pkg_add -r <package_name>" (you don't need to use a full name of the packages). At this moment (Jan. 2013), the FreeBSD team reorganise the structure of the repositories and no packages are available online for the FreeBSD 9.1 distribution.

After installation:
# umount /mnt/iso
to umount the iso file
# mdconfig -d -u md0 to delete the device
or
# umount /mnt/dvd to umount the DVD

If some software are not present on the dvd/iso, you must install it using the ports.
For example we wish to install hiawatha web server.
# portsnap fetch --> to get the ports files
# portsnap extract --> to extract the ports files
or execute only
# portsnap update --> if you have the ports files dowloaded and only a update is necessary

# cd /usr/ports --> to change to ports directory
# make search name="hiawatha" --> I got the path "/usr/ports/www/hiawatha"
# cd /www/hiawatha --> go into directory
# make install clean --> install from source

The compiled software is under /usr/local (user space) installed.

I wish you much fun
John999

piggy said:
I remember long ago FreeBSD had a basic install able to install packages too and not just the bare base system.
Not that long ago, actually. I suspect it was dropped when sysinstall was replaced with bsdinstall in 9.0-RELEASE.
piggy said:
I'm surprised they even dismissed this basic then[sic] valuable feature, especially for new users.
Speaking for myself, I haven't used it since I started using ports instead of packages, which was a long time ago. But nevertheless I do find it somewhat surprising that this feature has been dropped.

Fonz

Back