FreeBSD 9.1 how to install on VirtIO VPS?

Hi to all,

i have a problem with installation on VPS with VirtIO. Does exists some way for adding package virtio-kmod(or other) before start install or i have to make own install image with it? Thanks for any help...

I see that's indeed a package/port. If it's not on the install medium, you'll probably have to put it there yourself. You might want to try something like:
  • Obtain the memstick image for your architecture.
  • "Burn" it to a USB flash drive (or perhaps an SD card or something).
  • Mount the newly-created install medium r/w.
  • Go to the ports directory and install emulators/virtio-kmod onto the install medium (probably requires using $DESTDIR or something along those lines).
  • Boot the installation medium.
  • Either load the module at the boot prompt or go to "Live CD" and load it from there.

Hope this helps, and if I misunderstood the question forget I said anything.

Fonz

You can also make a default FreeBSD installation and install the virtio drivers later.

You can download binaries from here

After that you need to modify your /boot/loader.conf

Code:
virtio_load="YES"
virtio_pci_load="YES"
virtio_blk_load="YES"
if_vtnet_load="YES"
virtio_balloon_load="YES"

Your rc.conf

Code:
ifconfig_vnet0_name="em0"
ifconfig_em0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.xxx"

And finally your /etc/fstab

Code:
ada -> vtb

gkontos said:
You can also make a default FreeBSD installation and install the virtio drivers later.
I assumed the OP needed that VirtIO thingy during the install. If that's not the case, your solution is much more convenient.

Fonz

Exactly, I need VirtIO drivers during installation... Otherwise it's aborted after choose partitioning method. Method with making own install medium is only option which i found too... I just try ask if does exists some other way... Anyway thanks for your replies...

DevFist said:
Method with making own install medium is only option which iI found too...
If using a USB flash drive (or an SD card perhaps) is an option, making one's own install medium isn't that hard. Download the image, create the medium, mount it r/w and take it from there. You'll probably even be able to edit /path/to/mounted/medium/boot/loader.conf to automagically load your module at boot time.

Good luck,

Fonz

Back