Not open for further replies.
In the latest compilers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H operating systems comparison
'FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.1 Benchmarked Against Linux, Solaris, BSD' by Michael Larabel
there is an unusual hate campaign against BSD in the comments section:

lZYon.png

QpWd6.png

J35Su.png

IFCqI.png

(posted images instead of links as they can be deleted by moderator)

phoronix doesn't moderate their forums. Anytime *BSD (usually FreeBSD or DragonFlyBSD) are brought up a linux fanboy circle jerk forms and the trolling begins.

It's obvious that the person posting there requires attention. It is pretty sad when you meet those people in real life. I've seen it bring down some conferences.

A large subset of Linux users these days are of the 12 year old demographic who have no idea.

I don't care how Linux does on benchmarks personally as FreeBSD is close enough and actually does things properly.

I'm personally a throwback to the days of Minix on an Olivetti 8088 box. Almost got it working too! I was so excited when Walnut Creek offered a CD of "Slackware 2.0.8" which I merrily installed on a 386 box since I was a Novell admin and back in the days of 3.x, Novell had no way of doing TCP/IP and the agency I worked for absolutely had to get on arpanet. So I tried early Linux. This of course back in the days when Linus would personally reply to questions in email if you convinced him that you were not a PEBKAC.

If I had a nickel for every time a Linux drive blew up in my face, never to return, I could personally fund the BSD Foundation. As Linux went to Gary Kildall's Digital Research and emerged as "Caldera Desktop Linux" which was actually pretty good. Alas, like all other Linuces, that too often blew up and ate itself. And over the years, my experiences with Linux didn't improve all that much. Red Hat was OK for a while as well, but I eventually had my fill of the misadventures and ease of shooting one's self in the foot and moved everything I did over to FreeBSD 6. Never looked back.

And as I read with glee the misadventures of Ubuntu, and Gnome 3 and all the rest, I kiss my little daemon on the lips every day in gratitude for the sanity of FreeBSD. Even despite the continuing adventures with Broadcom crap and Adobe continuing to give us the "you're number one" finger. I sure do understand why they opened the sea cock on the S S Linux. :)

Seriously though ... it's just as well that the tards don't like us much ... better for ALL of us!

Cheers

Agreed with that 100%. I had a similar Unix upbringing, starting on Slackware.

Switched to FreeBSD pretty much entirely in the 4.0 days. I check out Linux every now and again to see if they've figured it out yet, and invariably the answer is "no, not yet".

throAU said:
A large subset of Linux users these days are of the 12 year old demographic who have no idea.

I don't care how Linux does on benchmarks personally as FreeBSD is close enough and actually does things properly.
Do you really think this person is a Linux user just because he claims to be one? Troll posts are just made for trolling, if you believe a single part of them you are trolled ;).

Remington said:
The benchmark results are skewed since they did not use the same hardware specs.

They actually use the same hardware for each of these OSes, but different OSes display this information in different manner (dmesg/lspci/pciconf/camcontrol/...) and that is whey there are 'differences'.

Benchmark results are skewed because they actually compare compilers on these OSes instead of comparing the OSes itself.

throAU said:
I've brought this up in other threads here and complained about the influx, lately, of Linux threads that have nothing to do with FreeBSD and lean toward negative comments. Almost all of the posters were new and their posts sound like something on a Windows board.

I don't know what started that up but I guess a seed was planted somewhere and it has germinated. Where Windows users would bash Linux, perhaps those who migrated to Linux now bash BSD. In all those cases it stems from lack of knowledge and immaturity. Some boards, wisely, don't tolerate such things.

When I first got into FreeBSD, I read that "Linux users use Linux because they hate Windows but BSD users use BSD cause they love BSD".

I have always thought that this type of trolls must have some kind of cognitive distorsion, so that anything different from what they like must be wrong and, by consequence, eliminated.

I have never understood these "OS wars" ("mine is better than yours", "you don't use my OS? So you are a looser"), mostly because it seems to me a kind of "digital extremism", and extremists are, by their nature, obtuse.

Personally, I like - no, the correct term is "I love" - FreeBSD, and nothing else matters (Metallica docet).
I don't care if Linux is faster, if Windows has more games or if Mac OS X is graphically superior - I like FreeBSD and that's all.
Just like I love my girlfriend, I don't care if another girl is more beautiful than mine - and obviously I don't insult the one that is less beautiful than mine.

I usually follow the golden rule "don't feed the troll" and I never reply to this kind of childish posts (though just writing this post means giving them the attention they are looking for), but if I had to reply to them I would simply write:

The entire FreeBSD community warmly thanks <troll_name> for not being a member thereof and, consequently, for having proved (using "Reductio ad Absurdum") that this community is made of higly competent and polite people.

Phoronix is full of anti BSD'ites.

We don't need those people and they don't deserve BSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back