The Notepad2 Repackaging Project - Notepad2 for every OS

Hello

I always find it easier to learn when there is an obtainable goal waiting for me at the end.

So for my project, I have decided to package Notepad2.

Pretty sure it is GPL, so I shouldn't run into any licensing issues.

I will be packaging Notepad2 into the following file formats;

EXE - Windows

MSI - Windows

RPM - Linux (RedHat Package Manager)

DEB - Linux (Debian Based)

PKG - FreeBSD (I think)

PKG - Mac OS X

I'm open to suggestions, please just post 'em, even if you'd just like to wish me luck!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I will constantly update this topic after each successful packaging.

PPS: For Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X, I will include WINE (as dependency needed...)

The best way to do it on FreeBSD might be to write a port - then you can just make package to build one, and you can also ask to have it included in the ports system for everyone to use.

And the usual file type is .tbz, yes (a shortform of .tar.bz2). I think pkg_add will handle .tar.gz (.tgz) as well, but there's no good reason to make use of that.

You might want to read the man page for pkg_add, pkg_create, and perhaps some of those they link to.

Hello

Thanks for your help once again Djn. So FreeBSDs equivalent of exe/msi/deb/rpm/pkg is tbz... right?

Is it scriptable?

By that I mean, can I give it a check for dependencies?

Well, .tbz is a fairly generic file type (it's equivalent to .zip) - but it's what you'd normally use for a FreeBSD package.

The important part is what's in it - what makes it a FreeBSD package isn't the file type, but if it contains the right files, such as information on what the package contains, dependencies, install and deinstall scripts, etc.

And that's obviously a "yes" to question 2. ;)

Why not try to port the source code so it'll run on Freebsd natively?

That would be a different project.

Perhaps I will do so in the future, but for starters I am using this project to learn how to create packages, for all the most popular operating systems.

Wrong thread, but nice. I suspect it won't happen overnight, though - I'm not sure if they're able to load 64-bit linux either.

It's just a good project to help me learn how to make packages for all the different Operating Systems.

Hello

This is a little taste of what to expect (Currently only supports XP/2003);
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t2wmyjn1otj

Still to add/include;

- ALL default NSIS images replaced with ones related to Notepad/Notepad2
- Information about what the setup is going to do
- Support for Vista/2008/Windows 7
- fixes for any problems reported!!!

Hope you like the installer!

Panarchy

PS: Also been working on the universal Debian/Ubuntu installer... coming shortly, have work starting tomorrow, so I may not get a chance till the weekend.

I just read your Thread about The Notepad2 "Repackaging Project - Notepad2 for every OS" and I think is a phenomenal idea. I desperately need Notepad2 on OSX and Linux. Im just to used with this on Windows. If you need a betatester for OSX and Linux, here I am. Please PM me.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Do not post your email address on public forums! (changed it to 'PM').

artisanicview: If I only have time to do one in the next week, which would you like me to do more, OSX or Linux?

EDIT: Just noticed, thanks for the thanks!

Yes, I PMed him at the time I posted #20.

Could you please email him, referring him back to this topic?

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

According to his account settings, PMs are forwarded to his registration email address. He hasn't been on since May 3. Be patient, I guess..

Back