Thank you DutchDaemon!

Yes, there is a button to "say thank you" but I want to write: thank you, DutchDaemon! Thank you for reading all my posts and correcting them! I think it isn't easy to spend the day to read and correct guys like me! I don't know what you do in your life, but it seems that the FreeBSD forum is a part of it!

So, thank you again!

+10000000

I am more a reader than a poster on this forum but I think this forum would not be what it is if DutchDaemon was not there.

A very BIG thanks to you DutchDaemon.

You did a great job on this forum and your answers are often very instructive.

Note: learning from my corrections and not making the same mistakes again is the best 'thank you' anyone could give me! ;)

DutchDaemon said:
Note: learning from my corrections and not making the same mistakes again is the best 'thank you' anyone could give me! ;)

You don't see it, but I learn!
We are lucky, English is "easy", try to write in French! (I'm French)

Hey, it's my school French of the previous century!

écrire - check
je (m')arrête - check
ici - check (overcompensation!)

You need to correct that like you do with our post!
(Évidemment, écrire en Français n'est pas permis ici, alors, j’arrête maintenant)
Just kidding!

Thanks again for making that forum clean and organized!

An accent aigu on a capital letter? Not what I've been taught, which is: unnecessary unless it would change the meaning. Again: last century ..

DutchDaemon said:
Hey, it's my school French of the previous century!

écrire - check
je (m')arrête - check
ici - check (overcompensation!)

not "veuillez", but "voulez" :stud

and a more "logical grammar" :

"y a t-il quelque chose dont vous voulez discuter?"

veuillez = would you like to, no? A more polite form instead of "do you want to". Or is this only for requests, like veuillez attender?

I've seen "dont ... parler", but never "dont ... discuter". You talk about something, but you don't discuss about something (also not in Dutch). You simply discuss something. Not so in French?

DutchDaemon said:
veuillez = would you like to, no? A more polite form instead of "do you want to". Or is this only for requests, like veuillez attender?
Since it's a hypothetical situation, you could use the conditional "voudriez".

DutchDaemon said:
I've seen "dont ... parler", but never "dont ... discuter". You talk about something, but you don't discuss about something (also not in Dutch). You simply discuss something. Not so in French?
The relative pronoun "dont" can be similar to "que" (that) and can be used for complements of "de", e.g. "vous voulez discuter de quelque chose" -> "quelque chose dont vous voudriez discuter".

I know what dont is ;)

It's "discuter de quelque chose" versus "discuter quelque chose" that sounds strange to me. At least in Dutch, English, and German, you don't discuss about or of something. You simply discuss something.

I believe that in Italian (I know a little) it's the same as in French (discutere di qualcosa, IIRC), so it must be 'a Roman' thing, going back to classical Latin (de gustibus non est disputandum!).

This is off-topic, even for off-topic.

DutchDaemon said:
I know what dont is ;)

It's "discuter de quelque chose" versus "discuter quelque chose" that sounds strange to me. At least in Dutch, English, and German, you don't discuss about or of something. You simply discuss something.

I believe that in Italian (I know a little) it's the same as in French (discutere di qualcosa, IIRC), so it must be 'a Roman' thing, going back to classical Latin (de gustibus non est disputandum!).

This is off-topic, even for off-topic.

What are you doing in your real life? How many languages do you speak? You are just not a FreeBSD Administrator?

System administration and innovation is what I do for a living (and I rolled into that because I was an early Internet adopter and switched "careers" to work for several ISPs and set up loads of Internet-related servers and services from scratch), but it isn't my life nor my background. I'm not your typical nerd/geek. My background is in political science and communication science (not in a technical, but in a sociological/psychological sense), and I have a "head for languages", though I don't use most of them enough to be really fluent in them, unfortunately. Dutch (duh) and English are not a problem, French and German are a bit rusty, Italian is at "holiday level" ("Supermercato, prego?", "Incinta? Devo lasciare!"), and because I took classical Latin (and some Greek) at school I can understand most of the Roman languages passively, or at least pick up words I recognize. That's why I can sometimes make sense of excruciatingly bad English once I know which language the poster speaks.

Reason: To correct my grammatical mistakes and forgetfulness spelling

In my mother tongue:

[CMD=]Muchas gracias, DutchDaemon[/CMD]

Back