Ports and dependencies

I just installed FreeBSD on a new server and ran into a problem while installing Apache22. During compilation, I ran into this error:
Code:
mod_authnz_ldap.c:41:2: error: #error mod_authnz_ldap requires APR-util to have LDAP support built in. To fix add --with-ldap to ./configure.
As far as I understand this error, it complains that some dependency is not compiled with LDAP support and should be recompiled with LDAP support. This means I have to figure out what package this is and where to find it in the ports directory, in order to recompile it. After that I can try to compile apache22 again. And it's not unlikely I will run into similar problems along the way.

I have a Gentoo background and I'm used to working with Portage. In Portage I can change a USE-flag and Portage will automaticly pickup any dependency that needs to be recompiled to meet the needs of this changed USE-flag. Does Ports have somthing similar? Perhaps I'm doing this all wrong and there is a much easier way to manage this?

Thanks in advance :)

It's probably www/apr1.

Code:
cd /usr/ports/www/apr1
make config

Turn on LDAP support and restart the Apache build.

Most of those options can be turned on or off using make.conf(5). Also see ports(7).

Thank you, that's certainly helpful, but not an answer to my original question. How do I best manage the dependency hell the FreeBSD way?

Many ways... I am currently accustomed to [but the apache installs are more complex...]
Code:
portmaster -d -P -i -g -B /var/db/pkg/mmv-... /var/db/pkg/atop-... textproc/fex misc/gnuls && yell || yell
requires audio/yell and you can now or eventually
Code:
script -a portmaster.logfile portmaster [#as above...]
log its proceedings, have it run as a pipe with xargs.

SirDice said:
It's probably www/apr1.
Turn on LDAP support and restart the Apache build.

Most of those options can be turned on or off using make.conf(5). Also see ports(7).

How exactly do I turn on LDAP support in make.conf? In Gentoo I would do it like this:
Code:
USE="ldap"
Not sure what's the correct FreeBSD way to do this :(

Got the wrong port category, it's devel/apr1 :e

If you look at a port's Makefile you'll notice various WITH_ and WITHOUT_ variables. You can use those in /etc/make.conf.

In this case WITH_LDAP should do the trick.

Back