freebsd update

I tried to work freebsd-update fetch but I get error:
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.
What do I do now?
I have installed FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE-200902.

Well, freebsd-update is only meant for updating -RELEASE to the next binary patchlevel.

From the man page:

The freebsd-update tool is used to fetch, install, and rollback binary
updates to the FreeBSD base system. Note that updates are only available
if they are being built for the FreeBSD release and architecture being
used; in particular, the FreeBSD Security Team only builds updates for
releases shipped in binary form by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team,
e.g., FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and FreeBSD 6.2-RC1, but not FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
or FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT.

Once you're on -STABLE you'll have to update your sources by using csup(1).

Depends on how much work you're willing to put into it (you'll have to keep updating sources and rebuilding the system -- and things might break, though this is quite rare and always solved quickly) and how fast you want new features (new developments from the next -CURRENT (now 8-CURRENT) are being backported to 7-STABLE). When using -RELEASE with freebsd-update you will have a more or less static setup with the occasional security update. It's fast, simple, and generic. Which means: you cannot run anything other than the GENERIC kernel with this setup; customised kernels are not possible; your system is really out-of-the-box and static. A rather general opinion is: do not use -STABLE on production servers, stay on -RELEASE, especially when your server is vital. Being a more adventurous sysop myself, I run -STABLE on just about everything and update frequently. I've hardly ever been bitten since I started using FreeBSD (2.2.5 in 1996 or so).

Back