FreeBSD as a guest using VirtualBox

Hi all,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 8.2 as a guest on an Ubuntu host using VirtualBox 4.0.12. I'm trying to boot from a CD or DVD ISO image but keep getting an error. I'd tell you what the error is but it scrolls past so fast and I can't seem to scroll up. I checked the handbook page on installing FreeBSD as a guest but it only mentions the guest additions for VirtualBox. Are there specific settings I'm missing, should I be booting from another source? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You should be able to load the FreeBSD .iso without anything special. Is it a problem with FreeBSD's iso or *any* iso?

If I'm not mistaken you need to create a virtual machine using the PIIX controller. Any other will fail.

Thanks all. So there doesn't seem to be a problem with the ISO. It boots and shows the boot menu. It is when I choose the standard option that it fails. For my IDE controller, I'm using the PIIX4 option.

Since I'm trying to install FreeBSD, should I be using a different ISO?

Thanks

Press Scroll Lock and use the up arrow to scroll back.

FreeBSD 8.2 should work fine as a guest, at least with the default settings.

I see:

Code:
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x88
fault code = supervisor write data, page not present

Great! I'm running Virtualbox on Archlinux, and also had to enable IO APIC to make the freebsd FreeBSD installation run. It's NOT on by default in the Linux version.

Back