nautilus and ssh problem

Hi

I newly installed 9.0-RC3 and gnome via packages (two times). The problem I have is, that when I try to access a remote machine via ssh:// nautilus does not ask for a password and therefore shows an access denied. (The ssh remote server indeed shows a connection attempt with a wrong password.)

However smb:// and ftp:/ work great and ask for a password.

I already posted to the freebsd-gnome mailing list but did not get a response so far. Maybe some of you have an idea where I should start looking at.

It's been a while since I used Gnome but that password might have been stored by Gnome's Keyring.

Hi SirDice,

Thanks for your quick reply. This behaviour would be great, but nautilus doesn't get this far. If I use smb:// and tell nautilus to store the password, it becomes visible inside of the password-store/keyring. ssh:// does not even ask for it.

I also tried to use gvfs-mount, which has the same effect

Code:
$ gvfs-mount ssh://<ipaddress>
Error mounting location: Permission denied

What happens if you try a ssh connection from a terminal? Does that work?

Yes, ssh works great. Even sftp (OpenSSH) and sshfs (fuse) work great as user. That's why I don't understand why nautilus and gvfs don't.
I'm positive that this is not an ssh problem. I think it must be somewhere within gvfs/nautilus configuration.
I don't think its an actual bug within those two, since it used to work on my linux box. Maybe its just a compile option which might need some tweaking.

A while ago Gnome's keyring would kick in even if you did a ssh in a terminal window. So if the keyring was an issue it would have failed too.

Did you build gvfs with support for Fuse? It's off by default.

I originally installed it via packages, but while playing around to fix this, I compiled it via ports with fuse and all the other options enabled :)

So back from reinstalling the system from ports. The problem remains the same... no ssh via nautilus or gvfs. So the problem is not related to the using packages.

However I think it might be related to the the problem discussed in the thread Gnome PolicyKit + Keyring + dbus issues. However, there;s currently no solution for this issue

Apparently you have to use SFTP with Nautilus

Give this a try...

To connect SSH hosted service with Nautilus, type in to the location bar this string:

Code:
sftp://user@host:port - SFTP means SSH File Transfer Protocol

The port is NOT necessary if it is the default 22. You also can specify the dir, what you want to access:
Code:
sftp://user@host:port/my/data/dir

It doesn't matter if I use SFTP or SSH. I always get "Access Denied" and there is also no difference if I provide a username (and even password) in the URI or not.

Is there anyone out there who can confirm this, cause to me it seems that I'm the only one having this problem.

I've seen scenarios were the encryption/password type was not correct.

For example, an older version of SecureCRT would not let me specify a password but instead an interactive keyboard prompt used for the password worked. Else I'd get the "ACCESS DENIED". I dont know if that could help you a little or not.

Also, I've seen that with older versions of PuTTY connecting to a linux/unix box.

Back