FreeBSD 9 RC2 and Atheros ar5413

Hello and thanks in advance for your attention. I am new to FreeBSD, but I must say that I love it. I am in Florence and I apologize if my English is not quite correct, but I ask your help please. I have a problem with my wireless card atheros ar5413. I'm using FreeBSD 9 RC2, I tried PC-BSD RC2, very convenient to quickly get a working desktop, but the kernel at boot gives me this error:

Code:
ath0: mem <Atheros 5413> 0xfdee0000 0xfdeeffff irq 16 at device-4.0 on pci2
ath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 14
device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6

The result of pciconf-lbcv on the wireless card is as follows:

Code:
ath0 @ pci0: 2:4:0: class = 0x020000 card = 0x500111ad chip rev = 0x01 hdr = 0x001b168c = 0x00
     vendor = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
     device = 'AR5413 802.11abg NIC'
     class = network
     subclass = ethernet
     bar [10] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfdee0000, size 65536, enabled
     Chapter 01 [44] = D0 D3 current powerspec 2 Supports D0

acpi is enabled but disabling it does not solve the problem. I also tried to follow a guide and recompile the kernel after created in /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ folder ath and here you have copied the contents of the folder of the madwifi-hal-current 0.9.4, but without positive results.

The strange thing is that in the new boot messages of unknown type ath_hal 0.9.4 before loading ath, but the messages are the same as before. Yet I think I've recompiled properly, or why I created the folder did not exist in ath /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/, then I copied the contents of the folder inside the file downloaded and after hal /usr/src I have given the command
[cmd=]make-j4 install kernel buildkernel[/cmd]

If you have any suggestions for me to run this wireless card thank you so much.

You may have to find a simpler way to describe what you did, because the paragraphs about what you did in /usr/src do not make much sense to me. Also, please do not put spaces in path names, it is impossible to read. So not / usr / src / sys /, please, but simply /usr/src/sys/.

First of all thanks for reply. So I rewrite the procedure I followed:

I downloaded and unzipped the file madwifi-0.9.4-current.tar. I went into /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ and why I created the folder ath did not exist.
cd /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev
mkdir ath

Then I went to the folder the hal file downloaded and copied the entire contents.
cd madwifi-0.9.4-current/hal
cp -R * /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath
At this point I moved to /usr/src and I gave the commands to recompile the kernel.
cd /usr/src
make -j4 buildkernel installkernel

I was wrong?

Hello and thanks for your answer Onda Knezour. Then I read the page you sent me. I reformatted the entire computer. I went and checked the file GENERIC kernel configuration parameters:

Code:
           device ath
	   device ath_hal
	   options AH_SUPPORT_AR5416
	   device ath_rate_sample
	   device wlan
I added
Code:
device wlan
It was not there and instead I removed this line:

Code:
# device ath_pci Atheros pci / cardbus glue

Then I recompiled the kernel and the warning no longer appears at startup:

Code:
ath0: mem <Atheros 5413> 0xfdee0000 0xfdeeffff irq 16 at device-4.0 on pci2
ath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 14
device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6
But the wireless interface is still not recognized.

If I add back the following line:

Code:
  # device ath_pci Atheros pci / cardbus glue

and recompile the kernel, then start the message
Code:
ath0 attach returned 6.

After this attempt, I tried removing and adding the following lines in loader.conf:

Code:
if_ath_load = "YES"
if_alc_load = "YES"
if_ath_pci_load = "YES"
but it does not solve the problem.

Back