teXlive port

You need to install ports-mgmt/portshaker, then you need to install ports-mgmt/portshaker-config (make sure you select TexLive)

Once done, you need to run
# portshaker

After it finish, you will have texlive in /usr/ports/print
There are few schemes you can use:
Code:
print/texlive-scheme-basic
print/texlive-scheme-context
print/texlive-scheme-full
print/texlive-scheme-gust
print/texlive-scheme-medium
print/texlive-scheme-minimal
print/texlive-scheme-tetex
print/texlive-scheme-xml

I usually install full.

Also if you want, you can install texlive 2011 packages (few weeks old) from my server:
http://files.bsdroot.lv/my/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-2011.09.01-packages/

Either with
Code:
# pkg_add -r [url]http://files.bsdroot.lv/my/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-2011.09.01-packages/All/texlive-scheme-full-20110830.tbz[/url]
or
Code:
# setenv PACKAGESITE http://files.bsdroot.lv/my/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-2011.09.01-packages/All/
# pkg_add -r texlive-scheme-full-20110830.tbz

However my packages are for amd64 only, if you are on i386, you're out of luck this time :)

TIPS:
if you want to install texlive from port, I suggest first you go to scheme that you want to install and do # make fetch-recursive
After it's done (might take few hours), then do # make install clean
If install fails at some point. Wait a day, update ports with portshaker and try again.

To install scheme full, it can take 1 to 2 days (depending on many factors)
Installing from packages, is Way faster (if you have good speed to my server), but I haven't created downloadable DVD for latest TexLive

Finaly:
Rant at guy, who says he's working on TexLive to be included in FreeBSD ports.... (I don't remember his name). I don't believe he's done anything, as there is only texlive port found in google, and that port is made by Romain Tartière

So what was this talk I heard of there being some legal issues with this software, and that they were the reasons it was not in the ports tree?

Or is it simply a case of no-one has done it yet?

I don't know anything about legal issues.
The only issue that might be (but it's quite easy to fix) is that TexLive packages (files that come from TexLive), are without version numbers.

I think it was this quote that I was incorrectly recalling:

We don't. We are waiting Hiroki Sato to port TeXLive to FreeBSD from 2001 or something like that. In the mean time if you really need to use TeX with BSD you have two options. One is two switch to OpenBSD or more recently to NetBSD. The other one is to use unofficial port of Romain Tartière which is not allowed to ports three because we do not want to hurt Mr. Sato's feelings.

But yes, I am mistaken about the legal issues. Would be brilliant to have texlive in ports without using portshaker though!

We don't. We are waiting Hiroki Sato to port TeXLive to FreeBSD from 2001 or something like that. In the mean time if you really need to use TeX with BSD you have two options. One is two switch to OpenBSD or more recently to NetBSD. The other one is to use unofficial port of Romain Tartière which is not allowed to ports three because we do not want to hurt Mr. Sato's feelings.

Has been this port even submited? I found only one non relevant PR about texlive.

graudeejs said:
That port is a myth.... It only exists if you believe in fairy tales (my opinion)

You mean Hiroki Satos port? I don't consider it now, I'm just wondering, why hasn't been Romains port submited as PR, beceuse it is the way how to get it in ports tree. As you can see in PR linked above, miwi@ was willing to take care about it.

ondra_knezour said:
You mean Hiroki Satos port? I don't consider it now, I'm just wondering, why hasn't been Romains port submited as PR, beceuse it is the way how to get it in ports tree. As you can see in PR linked above, miwi@ was willing to take care about it.

It was rejected in favor to Hiroki... Epic nonsense

Back