Network Manager

I just install freebsdFreeBSD for the first time ever. First of all, Nice software:). I use x11/gnome3 but I need a network manager, just like there is for example, Ubuntu or debian.

Is there anything like "wicd" or "network-manager" for FreeBSD and maybe a guide how to install it????

trev said:
Why? What does it do?

It shows you a list of available wifi connections. Then you select one, enter the password, and you're good to go. It's great for laptops, when you need to connect to a different wifi all the time. Even for a single wifi connection a GUI can be rather convenient for those not steeped in the ifconfig arcana.

you might want to just download the source packages at packages.ubuntu.com (this applies for both networkmanager and wicd) and try to see if they build (dunno how linux-centric these things are since I don't run them in the NetBSD side of my current dualboot setup).

does it compile under freebsd? the only thing is holding me from trying freebsd is wicd, i use a netbook so i need a way to easily switch networks, maybe there's a CLI alternative

Using wpa_supplicant, you don't need any kind of graphical wireless management tool (so long as all the networks are DHCP). Put ifconfig_int0="DHCP WPA" into /etc/rc.conf, then put all the details for all the networks you'll connect to in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Done. :)

When you are within range of one of the listed networks, wpa_supplicant will automatically connect to, and dhclient will be run, and you'll be connected.

If you need to manually set the IP for a network, use ifconfig. wpa_supplicant will still connect automatically.

Supports no encryption, WEP, and WPA.

(Another reason I really dislike NetworkManager is that it doesn't work with FreeBSD's rc.conf and wpa_supplicant setup -- or any of the text config file setups for any of the OSes that NetworkManager runs on.)

Found this info in wiki:

I am Nikhil Bysani, a junior at University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign. For Google Sumer of Code, I will port Netowork Manager to FreeBSD. Network Manager controls and manages network devices and settings, such as ethernet and wireless. I will port over the base system, and hopefully apply the patches upstream.

A timeline:

May 23 - 30th, Get Network Manager to compile on FreeBSD (no functionality)

May 30 - June 13th Get Ethernet working

June 13th - June 27th Get Wireless working.

June 27th - July 6th Pass test cases in ethernet/wireless.

July 6th - July 24th Have generally working NetworkManager daemon.

July 24th - August 17th Complete extra components such as plugins and nm-applet if possible, try to commit to upstream.

Maybe anybody know's what is the status with this one?

rhyous said:
I would still be nice to have one that integrates with KDE.
LOL, wpa_gui is written in QT mate (which is used by KDE) ;p

There is also one that uses GTK2 in the ports, but I do not remember its name.

Also, if You need KDE integration, then try PC-BSD, it comes with 'their' wireless manager in KDE.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but in case people are still wondering, there is a port of a GTK wireless networks manager: net-mgmt/wifimgr

It's in a pretty obvious place, too. I wonder how people don't see it.

I am new to BSD. I installed net-mgmt/wifimgr and also tried net/wpa_gui. Yes, these work, but how to you integrate them into Gnome 3? Network Manager has an applet for all desktops called nm-applet (in Linux). Does FreeBSD have an equivalent applet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to BSD. I installed net-mgmt/wifimgr and also tried net/wpa_gui. Yes, these work, but how to you integrate them into Gnome 3? Network Manager has an applet for all desktops called nm-applet (in Linux). Does FreeBSD have an equivalent applet?
There are various panel schemes with icons depending on your desktop environment.. But such a net-mgmt/wifimgr network widget does not exist. You simply need to call it up via the Gnome3 menu. You could also create a desktop shortcut.

I installed wifimgr but it just says 'no wi-fi interface is configured in /etc/rc.conf'.
Identify the device driver:

sysctl -n net.wlan.devices

You should then have an entry similar to this in rc.conf:

wlans_iwn0="wlan0"​
ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"​
Then wifimgr will take care of filling wpa_supplicant.conf.

I figured it out for a couple network devices in the manual but something is also wrong there which was mentioned in a similar thread here.

Back