LXDM port

There is discussion on the PCBSD mailing list about default login manager for Xfce, LXDE and other lighter desktop environments and conclusion is that LXDM would be a nice/better fit than the present GDM.

However, I wonder why there is no LXDM port available considering there is LXDE "meta" port available?

Sincerely,
Gour

I haven't looked at LXDM yet but it's possible it contains too much "linuxism" which may prevent it from working properly on FreeBSD.

Have you tried contacting the lxde-meta port maintainer?

vermaden said:
Why not SLIM, then ...

I'll second that. It has a really nice FreeBSD theme :e

One drawback is that it doesn't support XDMCP. Most people don't need it though.

vermaden said:
Why not SLIM, then ...

I suggested it, but it's not enough user-friendly - no support for selecting language/locale, nor user-lists.

Markand said:
At a glance, I didn't see many linuxisms. I try tonight to compile it and run it. Stay tuned

Cool. Keep us posted. If LXDM can work on FreeBSD that would be pretty awesome.

Ok we now know what the problem is. The Linuxism in LXDM that is stopping it from compiling is:

Code:
ifdef ret=setsockopt(self_server_fd,SOL_SOCKET,SO_PASSCRED,&on,sizeof(on));

SO_PASSCRED is the Linuxism. I can't figure out how to solve it so I suppose if anyone else has the time maybe dabble in it and try to sort it.

j0hnny said:
Ok we now know what the problem is. The Linuxism in LXDM that is stopping it from compiling is:

Code:

SO_PASSCRED is the Linuxism. I can't figure out how to solve it so I suppose if anyone else has the time maybe dabble in it and try to sort it.

Sorry it's not that it is:

Code:
ret=setsockopt(self_server_fd,SOL_SOCKET,SO_PASSCRED,&on,sizeof(on));

The files are located here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxdm/files/lxdm 0.3.0/

The file in question is lxcom.c.

j0hnny said:

Someone, trying to install lxdm-0.4.1 have raised the issue.

Whole lot of genius in this thread. Thanks for the help with LXDM, much appreciated. Will set up Virtual Machine tonight to test it out.

cpu82 said:
Someone, trying to install lxdm-0.4.1 have raised the issue.

That really reads confusingly as it contradicts itself, due to bad grammar. Unless I'm incorrect, I see two instances where "can" should really be "can't". I worry the bad and confusing writing will cause it to be passed over.

sremick said:
That really reads confusingly as it contradicts itself, due to bad grammar. Unless I'm incorrect, I see two instances where "can" should really be "can't". I worry the bad and confusing writing will cause it to be passed over.

About porting status will be better wait a new report. Linuxism is the worst obstacle to build and if can't be build is nonportable.

A better case against linuxism is that portability encourages modularity, which is good for reasons far beyond portability. Having to do some things in a different module because they can't be done the same way on all systems encourages you to separate concerns, which leads to code that's easier to reason about and, therefore, less likely to be buggy.

I mean I'm sure it COULD be ported but if it can't, someone could at least devise a special version or alternative for BSD. Still I can't see where there may be a problem. If Gnome 3 is on its way to being ported to BSD (or may already be for all I know) then LXDM shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Back