Xorg 7.4 freezes when exit

I have a fresh install of FreeBSD 8.0 (csup from 25/2) and Xorg 7.4.

I am using HAL hal 0.5.11_18 and it works keyboard and mice.

Problem is that when I try to exit X from fluxbox or pressing crtl + alt + backspace the whole computer freezes and I can´t do anything. The screen gets all blurry graphics and all I can do is press and hold power button until it´s restarted.

I know there have been alot of errors regarding 7.04 but haven´t seen this particular problem mentioned yet so please if you have any clues on what to do, I´m grateful.
I can´t see any errors in /log/xorg files.

I have enabled dbus and hal in /etc/rc.conf

it seems this is an xorg driver problem

Perhaps it is a VT switching problem. I've experienced it with some xorg driver such as xf86-video-ati/xf86-video-radeonhd. This problem only existed in their earlier versions.

When Xorg restarts, it will go back to console and then back to the X display, if the driver can't handle well the switching, the screen will garble. I guess it is the problem.

ahh great I will try it, it seems it is the same problem I have although I don´t use gnome, I use fluxbox or xfce4.

Thanx for advice but that didn´t help either. Can´t understand what is wrong, it doesn´t matter if i use hal and dbus or not, it always freezes when exit. Never had this error in 7.3.

It seems that the problem is related to the intel driver. When I change my xorg.conf to vesa instead I don´t have this problem. But everything looks really ugly with vesa so I would very much like to use the intel driver. I think I will switch back to 7.3 until all problems are fixed.

I see that the linux version of the inteldriver is 2.6.0 and includes DRI2 and other stuff. Perhaps if it could be compiled on freebsd it can solve the problem. ports only have 2.5.1

I have been experiencing this problem since the beginning of 7.1-RELEASE. I have a Intel card too. The freeze happens whenever I do ALT+CTRL+BS, shutdown or reboot. I use Fluxbox as well. For now, what I do is exit from Fluxbox, and halt or reboot from SLiM. Sometimes even exiting from Fluxbox freezes X.
I haven't known a fix for this yet.

Okay, I never experienced this problem until 7.4. But now i have made a fresh install instead and i installed 7.3 which works fine. I guess I will stick to 7.3 until something is done, it´s not like I´m gonna notice any difference anyway :e

When I try to exit X using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE (after re-enabling this, grrr...) my monitors remain off. X actually does exit, and if I can type commands in my shell, I just can't see anything. Interestingly enough I can restart X and it will come back up, but to exit X and get back to a visible prompt I have to reboot the machine. Very annoying when trying to test different Xorg configurations.

Shane said:
When I try to exit X using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE (after re-enabling this, grrr...) my monitors remain off. X actually does exit, and if I can type commands in my shell, I just can't see anything. Interestingly enough I can restart X and it will come back up, but to exit X and get back to a visible prompt I have to reboot the machine. Very annoying when trying to test different Xorg configurations.
Wow, 4 years later and I too have this problem, but with 7.7 using Intel HD on a HP Pavilion dv6. Haven't tried using VESA, and I don't want to really. Still tinkering with xorg.conf and/or removing it to try auto detect. I know vidcontrol -i mode doesn't return the correct resolution via terminal.

It's a different problem now, due to the KMS drivers. New console drivers that will work with the KMS drivers are in progress.

So if anyone with an Intel HD wants a GUI, and is experiencing this too, it would be best to boot into Xorg? Or are you just referring to the wrong modes being listed?

Intel or Radeon. The console still works, it's just that once X has been started, the console is no longer visible. The "newcons" project will fix that, but is still in testing.

Back