Firefox 4 with PGO compile error

Hi everyone.

I want to compile Firefox 4 with PGO support. I am running GNOME 2.32.1. But it aborts with an error. Below is log.

Code:
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/browser/locales'
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/browser/installer'
gmake tools
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/browser/installer'
gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for `tools'.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/browser/installer'
if test -d ../../dist/bin ; then touch ../../dist/bin/.purgecaches ; fi
hg: not found
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/browser
/installer'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2'
OBJDIR=obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2 /usr/local/bin/python2.7 obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/_profile/pgo/profileserver.py
args: ['/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/dist/firefox/firefox-bin', '-no-remote', '-profile',
 '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla-2.0/obj-amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2/_profile/pgo/pgoprofile/', 'http://127.0.0.1:8888/index.html']
INFO | automation.py | Application pid: 43717

(firefox-bin:43717): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | automation.py | Exited with code -6 during test run
INFO | automation.py | Application ran for: 0:00:01.447623
INFO | automation.py | Reading PID log: /tmp/tmpD148rhpidlog
gmake: *** [profiledbuild] Error 250
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.

Following google, I tried to recompile py27-sqlite3 (portupgrade -fR py27-sqlite3), but it did not work. I do not understand what "http://127.0.0.1:8888/index.html" means. Is it daemon required? But I couldn't get any useful information about it.

How do I install it?
Please help me.

Thanks a lot.

It happened to me when using a login manager. I used $ startx to start X and it compiled. I suppose it is something related to root no beeing able to log in through login manager.

I've managed to compile firefox while using KDM as a login manager by using kdesu, like this:
[CMD=]$ cd /usr/ports/www/firefox[/CMD]
[CMD=]$ kdesu make install clean[/CMD]

Thanks Martillo1 and Garrosh :)

Sorry if I'm missing someone.

I had been logged in in GNOME by startx (ordinary user, not root). Compiled firefox in xterm (by root) on GONME:p

So I don't know PGO what daemon (http://127.0.0.1:8888) need.

Thanks a lot.

The only thing I can tell you is the obvious: 127.0.0.1 is your loopback device. It's basically your internal IP address. The port (8888) appears to be a random one.

So the PGO actually tries to connect to your browser via your loopback to perform the profiling (i.e. Profile Guided Optimization).

I think the pertinent error is this:

Code:

You might want to Google possible causes for that.

Garrosh said:
The only thing I can tell you is the obvious: 127.0.0.1 is your loopback device. It's basically your internal IP address. The port (8888) appears to be a random one.

So the PGO actually tries to connect to your browser via your loopback to perform the profiling (i.e. Profile Guided Optimization).
Thanks, IP/ports is fixed not random.

So firefox wishes to connect to a daemon in X window I think. But after googleing I haven't any answer for the issue.
Garrosh said:
I think the pertinent error is this:

Code:

You might want to Google possible causes for that.
I haven't an idea about this error message either.

Thanks you a lot.

Thanks all.
After I and Ports owner tested. Solution is sudo portupgrade firefox. If use su, environment variable modified, and causes dbus connect error; sudo keeps it unmodified.

Thanks all very much.

okeeblow said:
Sorry to bump a solved thread, but it's easy to build Firefox PGO under GNOME like this as su root:

$ dbus-launch make install
Hi okeeblow
The method work also:)
I use it in root (Firefox 4.0.1 -> 5.0)
# dbus-launch portupgrade firefox
Thanks you a lot.

Back