shared memory

I'm trying to setup shared memory by building a new kernel and I'm a bit confused by the result.

I want to have 4G of shared memory (which is 2^32 bytes).

First of all, there's 16G of RAM and 20G of swap, so there is enough for what I want to do.

In the kernel options, I set SHMMAXPGS to 1048576 which with 4K pages should end up at 4G for the SHMMAX option. I also set SHMALL to 1048576

When I'm compiling the kernel, I got
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/sys/kern/sysv_shm.c:168: warning: integer overflow in expression
*** Error code 1

Looking into sysv_shm.c, I figure out that SHMMAX (the line at which there's a compilation error) is of type unsigned long (u_long) which should accomodate 2^64 bytes.

But anyway, maybe I was wrong and it's only 2^32 bytes so I change SHMMAXPGS to 524288 which is 2^32 and I still have the same problem. So I try 2^32-1 (524287) and it worked.

But this value only given approximatively 2G of shared memory.

My question is what wrong? the data type should accommodate such size (4G), but I can compile the new kernel

Thanks

sysctl accept any value even if is does not make sense. I'm able to set the shared memory (SHMMAX) to 14G, but when I make the system call to get 3G, it tell me that I can't have it. I can even put it to 100G and it will let me do, but it does mean that it's available

Not sure exactly how they're related but you may need to set shmall too. The xine install seems to want them both:

Code:
kern.ipc.shmmax=67108864
kern.ipc.shmall=32768

Edit:
Like Soviet central planners there are two important settings. Like most people I knew about shmmax, but it is sly, it is not the maximum amount of memory which can be allocated, it is the maximum size of any shared memory chunk.
Shmmax is how big a bite you want per bite from free memory.
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/245/the-mysterious-world-of-shmmax-and-shmall
(linux but the principle should be the same)

shmmax is setup at compilation as shmmaxpgs * page_size that why you dont set it up.

But the problem is not the setting of those parameters, but the limits at which they can be setup

Don't know if this is relevant to you any longer but I've just had the same problem on 7.1-RELEASE and an amd64 kernel.

It seems that if you don't define SHMMAX explicitly in your configuration file, the

#define SHMMAX (SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE)

statement in the .c file defaults to an int.

After adding

options SHMMAX=2457600001 (in my case)
options SHMMAXPGS=600000
(etc)

the kernel compiled without a hitch.

j

Back