UFS vs ZFS

Hi to all!

I have FreeBSD 8.1 amd64 server, with ufs on first HDD, and I planned to add another 1Tb HDD for backups. I never run FreeBSD on ZFS, that's why I took some computer for test and install FreeBSD 8.1 amd64, ufs on first HDD, and ZFS on second, and run blogbench benchmark:
Code:
blogbench -d /home/qaz/test/
Code:
ufs:
Final score for writes:            96
Final score for reads :         91960
Code:
zfs:
Final score for writes:             5
Final score for reads :         58466

Code:
Computer info:
Motherboard: Asus P5V-VM-ULTRA
CPU Model: Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 430  @ 1.80GHz
RAM:2Gb
HDD:

ATA channel 2:
    Master:  ad4 <SAMSUNG HD200HJ/KF100-06> SATA revision 2.x
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master:  ad6 <SAMSUNG HD322GJ/1AR10001> SATA revision 2.x
    Slave:       no device present

ad4 - ufs, where FreeBSD installed
ad6 - zfs

What I'm doing after installing FreeBSD:
Code:
test# cat /boot/loader.conf 
zfs_load="YES"

Code:
test# cat /etc/rc.conf 
defaultrouter="192.168.0.19"
hostname="test.zfs"
ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.0.10  netmask 255.255.255.0"
keymap="ua.koi8-u"
sshd_enable="YES"

zfs_enable="YES"

Code:
zpool create test /dev/ad6
zpool set compression=off test
Code:
test# zpool status
  pool: test
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	test        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  ad6       ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I know that this is different HDD, but I think that results can't be so different, but I can try put ufs on ad6. And here is my question, why performance on ZFS is so poor, what I'm doing wrong?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot:
Code:
test# uname -a
FreeBSD test.zfs 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 19 02:36:49 UTC 2010     root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

they say ufs+zfs is always slow due to memory troulbes, zfs-only is better
but as for me, i dont want to experiment with filesystems and use good old ufs :)

ZFS is best on systems with 4+ GB of RAM, as well. I wouldn't use it on anything with less.
Here goes +1 too.
With my laptop with 1G of ram and should-be-great settings (from various sources) perfomance was bad as hell is and laptop had kernel panics every 4-5 hours of uptime (with some io from time to time)

While it's possible to use ZFS on a single disk, performance will not be that great. ZFS is designed for large storage setups (multiple disks, multiple controllers, lots of RAM, lots of CPU, etc), and that's where it really shines.

Configure a box with 24 harddrives in it, first using hardware RAID and UFS, then with software RAID and UFS, then with ZFS, and benchmark each setup. Be sure to include tests for dead/dying disks, like disconnecting SATA cables in the middle of the benchmark. And tests for corruption, like repeatably disconnecting a SATA cable from a drive in the middle of the benchmark or issuing dd commands in the background to write garbage to the middle of the disk. And be sure to get MD5 checksums for all data files before and after the test to make sure everything is saved correctly throughout the tests. And be sure to include fsck times in the UFS benchmarks, and disk rebuild/resilver times as well.

Yes, UFS will be faster for a single disk, maybe even for a handful of disks. But get over 2 TB or 4 disks, and UFS-based systems get to be a pain to manage. Especially when things die.

There's a lot more to storage than raw throughput. After all, the fastest storage benchmarks in the world use /dev/zero and /dev/null; yet no one seems to store data on those devices in the real world. :D

Yesterday I update one my servers to FreeBSD 8.2 and update zfs pool to v15. In that server I have one ufs HDD and one zfs HDD for backups, and run some benchmark. Results was significant:

zfs 8.1 (before update)
Code:
Final score for writes:           375
Final score for reads :         42163

zfs 8.2 (no loader.conf tuning)
Code:
Final score for writes:          1273
Final score for reads :        120520

ufs 8.2
Code:
Final score for writes:            77
Final score for reads :        119512

The "versus" is an ill-fated comparison. If you're comparing just naked numbers, then ZFS looses against ext4 and brtfs. Numbers should be only one of many aspects in your consideration.

Data deduplication is something that I've been wanting for a while. Now, if only Linux would add support so that when I dual boot, I can use that as my common filesystem.

There's also the FUSE implementation of ZFS. Last time I checked, it had ZFSv22, which included dedupe. We played around with it for a bit. It's okay for testing and prototyping, but we found it to be too unstable for heavy use.

Back