libxml2 -- configure: Syntax error: Bad substitution

Hi,

I have the same problem on four servers running 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD when, after [cmd=]portsnap fetch update[/cmd] I try to [cmd=]portmaster -a[/cmd]

The libxml2 upgrade gives an error:

Code:
./configure.lineno: 14571: Syntax error: Bad substitution
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
I've run gnomelogalyzer with no result.

The relevant line in configure is:

Code:
14569 WIN32_EXTRA_LIBADD=
  14570 WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS=
  14571 CYGWIN_EXTRA_LDFLAGS=  
  14572 CYGWIN_EXTRA_PYTHON_LIBADD=
  14573 WIN32_EXTRA_PYTHON_LIBADD=
  14574 case "$host" in
  14575  *-*-mingw*)
  14576  CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -DWIN32"
  14577  WIN32_EXTRA_LIBADD="-lws2_32"
  14578  WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS="-no-undefined"

The following link goes to a gzipped text file with (I believe) all the log and other pertinent data the error messages have requested, including config.log, /var/db/pkg, etc..

https://www.strongspace.com/teleonet/public/libxml2_build_fail.txt.gz

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The only differences I see between your config.log and mine (which works) is that you are missing devel/binutils. Don't know if that's the real problem, though, and I didn't really examine it really closely.

wblock said:
The only differences I see between your config.log and mine (which works) is that you are missing devel/binutils. Don't know if that's the real problem, though, and I didn't really examine it really closely.

Thank you , wblock. I tried binutils on one server, but it didn't solve the problem.

I've noticed this too on 3 different 6.1 servers. I guess this is the first sign of things to come for 6.x and an indication that it is really EOL and no longer supported...

Possible solution

Ran into the same problem on a 6.2-RELEASE machine.
I've solved it by commenting out the
Code:
WIN32_EXTRA_PYTHON_LIBADD="-L${pythondir}/../../libs -lpython${PYTHON_VERSION//./}"
line in the configure file.

Zeta said:
Ran into the same problem on a 6.2-RELEASE machine.
I've solved it by commenting out the
Code:
WIN32_EXTRA_PYTHON_LIBADD="-L${pythondir}/../../libs -lpython${PYTHON_VERSION//./}"
line in the configure file.

Thank you, that helped me as well

Back