Error executing KDE

Hello,

I am about as new as it gets to FreeBSD, and am trying to learn a bit about it, but I figured it may be best to start my BSD learning experience in something I am a bit more familiar with, a GUI.

I have already accomplished installing BSD and downloading KDE3 via, I believe, ports. I entered something along the lines of [cmd=]cd /usr/ports/x11/KDE[/cmd] and [cmd=]make install clean[/cmd]

Anyway, after a long and strained effort of the download/install I finally regained control of the command prompt only to find that I could not, for the life of me, get KDE running. I attempted getting it to run by entering something along the lines of [cmd=]echo "exec startkde" ~/.xinitrc[/cmd] but to no avail.

Also, it seems every time I reboot the computer and check on .Xinitrc, all changes have disappeared. I have also attempted running the command [cmd=]startkde[/cmd] which lead me to an endless continuation of the command prompt saying:
Code:
kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server
This comes after a few short strings of text which I do not manage to read in time.

I apologize for any lack or vague information, and if more information is required just give the word and I will do my best to post it, but can anyone possibly help me get KDE running (with startup if possible) so I can begin my experience with BSD?

BradJohns94 said:
Hello,

I am about as new as it gets to FreeBSD, and am trying to learn a bit about it, but I figured it may be best to start my BSD learning experience in something I am a bit more familiar with, a GUI.

I apologize for any lack or vague information, and if more information is required just give the word and I will do my best to post it, but can anyone possibly help me get KDE running (with startup if possible) so I can begin my experience with BSD?

http://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE4/Install

I was looking through the handbook, now I'm having problems with Xorg. It seems when I type the command:
# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
The screen flashes black for a moment then leaves me with a screen saying something about my BIOS and disabling keyboard function, even disabling me from turning on and off things such as caps lock. I tried entering the keyboard script mentioned in the handbook but that didn't change anything. Any ideas?

Hi. For GUI: (In case you forgot any step)

1) Install Graphics card driver
2) Install KDE
3) .xinitrc (Add line: exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde4 )
4) X -configure (to create xorg.xonf file)
5) With "startx" go to GUI (if you are not using gdm, kdm etc)

For problems please can you post "xorg.conf" and "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file?

Back