Deinstalling parts of base

Is it possible?
Code:
cd /usr/src/.../$APP
make deinstall
Because that would be easier, after adding in src.conf:
WITHOU_$APP

Then rebuilding whole world, just to not have $APP in base.

I tried:
Code:
make deinstall
make uninstall
And it is a no go!

Beastie said:
How about removing (rm(1)) what is unneeded?
Isn't that a little bit unhealthy, as I don't have a list of all files, scattered all over OS, that I should target for deletion, for that particular application

Seeker said:
I don't have a list of all files, scattered all over OS
Is that so? Use whereis(1) or look at the files in the /usr/src/... directories.

For example, /usr/src/usr.bin/bluetooth: each subdirectory is for a different application; all .c files are the applications' binaries and are stored in /usr/bin (src/usr.bin, remember?) and all .<number> files are man pages stored in /usr/share/man (in this case, all section 1 pages).

fronclynne said:
When it's working correctly the delete-old target in conjunction with src.conf(5) is probably going to do what you want.
Can you be more specific?
In this example, of fully installed system, I decide how I don't want to have base sendmail MTA installed, as I'll replace it with Postfix MTA.
I add in src.conf WITHOUT_SENDMAIL, and then I do ... ? (To avoid complete recompilation)

Well it works on a per case basis:
Didn't work for WITHOUT_OPENSSH=YES, WITHOUT_MAIL=YES, WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=YES
Did work for WITHOUT_BIND=YES

I guess a complete recompilation is the only clean way?

The only "clean" way, where you do not have any left-over files, is to buildworld and buildkernel as per normal. Then boot off a LiveCD and format the / filesystem (/, /lib, /bin, /sbin, /libexec, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/sbin, etc etc etc). Then mount the clean filesystems, and run through the installkernel and installworld process. Boot off the harddrive, and then run delete-old and delete-old-libs just to be safe (should be empty operations).

Seeker said:
Well it works on a per case basis:
Didn't work for WITHOUT_OPENSSH=YES, WITHOUT_MAIL=YES, WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=YES
Did work for WITHOUT_BIND=YES

I guess a complete recompilation is the only clean way?

Yeah, cheers. Not every target for delete-old has been set up correctly (yet), obviously. Sorry, I don't have the commit bit, yo, yeah, cheers?! Umm, but yeah, installing to another drive, or a clean drive from a live CD might do the trick, as senor Финикс said. Yeah, cheers.

Do we agree, that this is a mistake in src, that has to be fixed?
If that is so, then we need to report it as a PR?
Right?
That is, if it hasn't been already?

Seeker said:
We should only patch ports.
src is a dev's jurisdiction
;)

Anyone can submit patches to the source tree. How else would one become a dev? And eventually get punished^W er... rewarded with a commit bit? :)

At the very least, if you find a target that doesn't work as advertised, submit a PR. Listing which files are left behind, contents of make.conf and src.conf, command issued, etc would be best.

I see.
I would like someone else, to submit this PR.
'WITHOUT_*' lines aren't fully obeyed at OS reinstallation

Back