ncurses, char encoding and remote shell

I cannot configure some console based applications to right display character in UTF-8.

In my login script for tcsh I inserted an if/else statement to set different char encoding:

Code:
if ( "$TERM" != "cons25" ) then
   setenv LANG      it_IT.UTF-8
   setenv LC_ALL    it_IT.UTF-8
else
   setenv LANG      it_IT.ISO8859-1
   setenv LC_ALL    it_IT.ISO8859-1
endif

this code set ISO8859 when log on the computer keyboard/monitor and UTF-8 when in remote with rlogin (PuTTY, TeraTerm, etc.). In remote the $TERM var is set to one of 'xterm', 'screen', 'putty'. (Yes, if logged on computer keyboard/monitor and run 'screen' the previous code set UTF-8 and the encoding is wrong, but this is not a problem, normally I run 'jfbterm', the problem is only in remote).

Here are some screenshots using PuTTY (actually I only use it in remote console) and some
programs running in it.

ftfb00.jpg

Running 'sysinstall' at prompt

ftfb01.jpg

Running 'sysinstall' in 'Tmux'

ftfb02.jpg

Running 'sysinstall' in 'GNU screen'​

As you can see when running in 'GNU screen' box-drawing characters are correctly displayed, this appens with or without the 'GNU screen' -U switch

PuTTY really run in UTF-8 mode as you can see in the following screenshots (menu item 'Modalità lista') the 'à' character is correctly displayed. I tested it printing the UTF-8 sequence of semigraphics characters and they print correctly (3 bytes) but it seems that ncurses work in an understandable mode.

ftfb03.jpg

Midnight Commander at prompt

ftfb04.jpg

Midnight Commander in 'GNU screen'​

Any comment, suggestion, exclamation?

PuTTY and screen diverge from VT100-compatibility by ignoring the VT100 line-drawing
controls when in UTF-8 mode. There's a work-around in ncurses, by setting an
environment variable (NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS), documented in the ncurses manpage.

It works! itcotbtoemik, you are a wizard.

[CMD=""]setenv NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS 1[/CMD]

What changed:

midnight commander: ok
cdialog: ok
dialog: ok, use alternative ('+' '-' '|')
perl + p5-Curses + p5-Curses-UI: ok, use alternative

This was not a big problem, in mc the -a switch and in cdialog the --ascii-lines or --no-lines switch use the alternative line drawing characters or spaces.

Many scripts/programs do not care of how the line drawing chars are displayed, have no switches to enable/disable. Sometimes reading the text inside boxes with 'qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq' is confusing.

PS: definitively I set TERM env var to 'xterm' for 'the universe' (PuTTY, GNU Screen, Tmux, etc.). The images in previous post show behaviours with TERM set to 'xterm'.

Back