php52 port

Maybe you could explain a little more what this patch does.

create php52-* ports
fix Mk/bsd.php.mk
to correct use, apply patch and add
Code:
bsd-test# grep PHP_VER /etc/make.conf
PHP_VER=52
bsd-test#
I correct build some ports (not all, I'm working with it)
Code:
bsd-test# pkg_info | grep php52 | wc -l
bsd-test#
not build
Code:
bsd-test# sh /tmp/1.sh
php52-pdo_firebird
php52-interbase
php52-ice
php52-phing
bsd-test#

Not all users want global changes of version PHP and the given patch solves this problem.
Consider possibility of inclusion of a patch to ports tree.
As it seems to me, now PHP 5.3 yet has not reached to include it in ports and consequently it is necessary to remain on 5.2.12. The port lang/php52 is really necessary.

I have tested it, all is build successfully and works.

Is there any way that both 5.3 and 5.2 live together. I managed this before i upgrade ports with 5.3. I just change PREFIX before installing. But with both php52 and php53 in ports this is kinda impossible. I would be great if some sort of suffix for php php-cgi etc. could be used. Do you think this is possible with this patch. That way users can use either 5.2 or 5.3 just by changing path in cgi wrapper.

urosgruber said:
Is there any way that both 5.3 and 5.2 live together. I managed this before i upgrade ports with 5.3. I just change PREFIX before installing. But with both php52 and php53 in ports this is kinda impossible. I would be great if some sort of suffix for php php-cgi etc. could be used. Do you think this is possible with this patch. That way users can use either 5.2 or 5.3 just by changing path in cgi wrapper.

As stated in the earlier long thread starting i august last year, PHP 5.2 is soon to reach it's EOL. Possibly in a few months or so. The developers of PHP only want one 5.X line to develop and patch.

except the developers still have users.
we have on the hosting, they still ask php4.
and they do not care what the developers want. They have websites and they should work

A good website should by this time now use at least php5. php4 has to my knowledge about 10 open CVE's of which two are classified as high. So if you are hosting applications that still use php4, you are open for some serious attacks from both local and remote users. And having websites that should work under php4 is not a defence for keeping it around, it's a show of bad developers.

can you explain it more then 100 humans who read this thread?
may be you can explain it all users who have their sites?

lissyara said:
can you explain it more then 100 humans who read this thread?
may be you can explain it all users who have their sites?

Sorry, but that's your job and responsibility if you are a hosting provider. And if they don't listen to you, then you have bad customers that may allow your servers to be breached. I only allow for php5 to be the one running, and is currently pushing them to verify against php 5.3.X.

So I have to say:
Our hosting service uses a bad operating system, fails to maintain the desired version of your php. We recommend you find another hosting provider who uses Debian/CentOS/...

Or you can rewrite your code (or someone else, and long no longer supported), or migrate to other versions.
==============
if it is not necessary specifically to you, or if you (your technical support) nothing more to do than to help users to rewrite the code/expel them from you hosting - you can continue to do that and more.

but do not prevent others, who have something to do.

Hi

Thanks for doing this - I have some software that is not 100% 5.3 tested in production.

The question is:

I have a lot of php based ports installed and need to "move" them to php52-*. I tend to use portupgrade (but do not know it well enough!). Is there a "magic" command I can use, as I've added the PHP_VER to make.conf and would like to update all the installed child ports in 1 go (preferably without uninstalling - re-installing) them. Not too much to ask ;)

Thanks again

Again, thanks.

So simple when the knowledge is there (I _really_ have to get round to dissecting that man page ;) )

ooh.. that didn't really work :(

It updated the main port, but not the child ports. I guess I'll need to do those manually?

oops...

just noticed the patch is already part of the port. But I'm still having failures when using tcpdf and a png image.

What happens now, is when I launch the script (which is using tcpdf to build a PDf file which has a couple of png images in it), the apache error log come back with:

Code:
[Wed Apr 28 10:56:06 2010] [notice] child pid 46871 exit signal Abort trap (6)

It's definitely related to png, as if I change one of the images to jpeg, and comment out the other (it has transparency, so can't be a jpeg) I get the output fine.

Back