Setting up USB printer

@SIFE

as far as I can see, these three CUPS ports have a GNUTLS option:

cups-base
cups-client
cups-image

Either turn GNUTLS on in all of them or none of them. Your error may be caused by such an inconsistency.

i had install gnome-print-manager too ,my problem now is there no driver for canon lbp 3010 so i have to wait until they release one .
i try it with canon lbp 310 and does not work .

hello,

After connecting Lexmark usb printer to FreeBSD 8.0 machine, message show that Lexmark is connected biderectional and /dev/ulpt0 exists but command:

cat <file> > /dev/ulpt0

stalls. No error message, just does nothing.

Tried chmod go+wr /dev/ulpt0 to no avail. Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks.

Kirill

znanie said:
After connecting Lexmark usb printer to FreeBSD 8.0 machine, message show that Lexmark is connected biderectional and /dev/ulpt0 exists but command:

cat <file> > /dev/ulpt0

stalls. No error message, just does nothing.

Tried chmod go+wr /dev/ulpt0 to no avail. Any idea what I did wrong?

It would help to know what Lexmark. If it is "host-based", it probably won't be able to understand plain ASCII text.

You can try /dev/unlpt0 as a device, which works with some USB printers.

Yep,

It printed to /dev/unlpt0.

The Lexmark is a 9-pin dot matrix 2481-100. Should work with text.

Thanks a lot for the tip. Now on to setting up lp.

Kirill

What about the error: Undefined symbol "_httpWriteGNUTLS" mentioned earlier? I have the same problem after install istalling CUPS package, localhost:631 won't even open!

[later:] Updating all installed packages to the 'stable' set (from 'release') seems to have sorted that out!

[XEROX PHASER 3140 on FreeBSD]
Hey people. I have recently moved in to FreeBSD after 10 years of various Linux distros and I am not planning to move out. Anyway, posting here the walkthrough for making Xerox Phaser 3140 work on FreeBSD (just accomplished it) - Google returns nothing while searching, so I thought someone might run into same problems.

Well here it is:
  • Install packages: cups, linux_base-f10, linux-f10-cups-libs, linux-f10-jpeg, linux-f10-png
    Fix devfs rules
  • Download: Xerox P3140_3155.tar.gz and tar xzf it
  • Go to cups web interface and set up your printer. The PPD for printer is in: {xerox_extract_path}/media/P3140_3155/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ph3140.ppd
    copy {xerox_extract_path}/media/P3140_3155/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl to /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/
  • You have a cheap working xerox phaser now.
  • If for any reason you still cant print, try running /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl and see if it complains about shared libs. Install whatever required (linux-f10 libs!)
Have fun!

One more time about CUP and Brother printer.

Dear gurus would you please share your knowledge with me.
I’ve got a puzzle of FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE GENERIC i386, Brother FAX-2920R, Windows 7 32bit PPD-file, Linux driver and tons of topics and posts. I know it is not impossible task, but I really lost in the ocean of information.

My first question is: can I use win7 ppd file or another ppd file of earlier versions of Windows (XP, 9x), either Windows’ PPD can not be used? Should I use Linux driver only?

List of my actions
cups-1.5.2 - installed

Brother 2920R connected via usb.
[CMD="dmesg"] | less[/CMD]
Code:
…
ugen4.2: <vendor 0x04f9> at usbus4
ulpt0: <vendor 0x04f9 product 0x0188, class 0/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2> on usbus4
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
…

rc.conf
Code:
cupsd_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

devfs.conf
Code:
[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'usb/4.2.0' mode 0660 group cups

User and root added to cups group

[CMD="lptest >"]/dev/unlpt0 [/CMD] or [CMD="lptest >"]/dev/ulpt0[/CMD] print three empty pages.

What I must change/add/install/ to make printing on my printer?
Short and exact explanation is very appreciated. Please kindly let me know if additional information is required.

Kind regards.

P.S. Sorry for my terrible English. English is not my native language.

Back